Senior Linux Systems Engineer
Engineering – System administration /
Full time, permanent contract
Keepit is a cloud-to-cloud backup service provider. The purpose of our platform is to provide our customers with an immutable historical archive of their primary data in systems such as Microsoft 365, GSuite, Salesforce and Dynamics, to protect them from everything from ransomware to simple accidents.
At Keepit, we like to keep it simple. We like to think "less is more". We are one of the leading cloud data protection platforms in a very rapidly growing market and we can see that customers like what we do. We are looking for more colleagues to help us do even more.
The Keepit platform is a set of networked services working in concert; we have a strong emphasis on performance and reliability and this influences how we approach development and how we write our code.
The majority of our back-end components are written in clean modern C++ using mainly purpose-built components and the STL. Several components that deal with business processes and data mining are built using Common Lisp.
Everything runs on Linux. It runs on our servers that are run by our people. Our service operates from datacenter locations in Washington, Sydney, Copenhagen and London - but we are a growing organisation and more regions will come.
At Keepit, the developer will contribute significantly to project specifications since deep technology understanding matters when we decide how to solve a problem.
At Keepit, we write code to last, since taking the time to do it right is faster than having to do things over.
At Keepit, developers will write test cases for their code, since if we can't prove to ourselves that code works there is little chance to impress QA.
Our approach to the development itself is ambitious and bold. We have developed components and systems that most organisations do not, which is securing us a solid lead in this rapidly expanding market of cloud to cloud backup. Backing up billions of objects over foreign APIs using imperfect networks on systems with finite memory and making it all happen in as little time as possible, is no small feat. We built the object store that holds these data too by the way. And we built every system in between and around as well. If you think solving hard problems is fun, we have strong indications that we will not run out of hard problems any time soon. Come join us for the fun!
This infrastructure mostly consists of Ubuntu and Debian Linux servers and Dell datacenter switches. A 24/7 operations team manages the day-to-day operations, performs maintenance and deploys new software releases.
We are now looking for experienced colleagues to join our operations team who can be a part of solving complex tasks that lie ahead of us, raising the bar to the next level with the growth of our business and infrastructure.
- You must be an expert Linux administrator
- Knowing the command line at the back of your hand
- Being familiar with the Linux kernel, filesystems and memory management
- Knowing all the tools from grep to grub, from sed to systemd
- Some work experience with Postgres and Pacemaker
- Solid understanding of L2 and L3 networking including switching, STP, ARP, routing, IP/UDP/TCP, OSPF etc.
- Experience with Netfilter firewalling
- Experience managing switches, for example Dell datacenter switches, Force10 or other
- Familiarity with gdb, lldb and perf
- Familiarity with git
- Familiarity with BGP
- Familiarity with LDAP, Kerberos, SAML and Radius
If you consider yourself an expert systems administrator and have a solid networking background, then we have interesting challenges waiting just for you!
- An exciting and challenging job in a successful business. Our culture is characterized by a positive tone, commitment and result-oriented professionalism, heavily influenced by excitement for what we do
- Unique working environment where your opinion matters
- Competitive salary
- Career and professional growth
- Long-term employment
- 20 working-days paid vacation, health insurance and other social benefits after probation
If all above describes you, Keepit hopes to have you as our new team member to help us grow in the direction that sustains Keepit’s culture of many different talents and nationalities within an informal and trusting environment.
We kindly ask you not to provide us with any sensitive categories of personal data when applying for a job with us.
Sensitive categories of personal data include data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, data concerning health or data concerning your sexual orientation.