VP of Engineering
San Francisco, CA
We are on a mission to improve the efficiency of America’s trucking industry by connecting the millions of drivers and vehicles that haul freight on our roads. We are backed by Google Ventures and Index Ventures.
In 2015, the U.S. Department of Transportation announced regulation that will require 4.5 million interstate truck drivers to use an Electronic Logging Device (ELD). The goal is to improve road safety and reduce paperwork burden on the industry.
With the leading ELD in the market, We are poised to build the largest network of connected commercial vehicles in the world. The massive data generated from this network presents an opportunity to fundamentally change the way the trucking market operates.
About the job:
The VP of Engineering will report directly to the CEO, Shoaib Makani, and will be a key member of the executive team, collaborating with and learning from their peers to continue to create and build groundbreaking trucking and fleet management solutions. Both a technologist and a business leader, the successful candidate will lead, train, develop and continue to hire the best talent in the industry.
The ideal candidate will be a leader by example, promoting a positive company culture and fostering transparency throughout the organization. This person approaches problems with insight and creativity in equal measure, never accepting solutions that compromise values or quality as an option. They treat everyone as a peer, and understands that listening is as imperative to effective communication as speaking.
The VP of Engineering will have a knack for prioritization, driven by data and quantifiable metrics as well as customer-centric sensibilities and an unshakable emphasis on people. For this person, recruiting is always a priority, motivated by a tenacious passion for building a team of people they are proud to know.
- Drive urgency, pace, and process/performance improvements across all hardware and software engineering groups so KeepTruckin meets or exceeds its business plans and goals, focusing on its continuing transformation from product to platform. Introduce more/better performance data and help direct reports set stretch goals
- Provide strong leadership to a globally dispersed team by illustrating shared visions, missions, strategies, and plans; by fostering greater communication, visibility, access, and collaboration throughout the engineer corps; and by being an instrument of unity and trustworthiness
- Recruit, hire, assess, develop and retain outstanding technical leaders
- Ensure that engineers have the resources and tools they need to excel and flourish
- Work cross-functionally within the organization to ensure that new features and products are well and timely built and that the user experience is superb
- Help set policies, priorities, and strategies as member of the core executive management group
- Outstanding technologist and engineer by training, with a focus on hardware/firmware and software experience in SaaS, mobile, cloud, or RF environments
- Has run a performance-driven engineering organization of significant scale across multiple geographies that releases products and improvements at a rapid pace. Experience with agile methodologies is a distinct plus
- Has owned technical strategy, planning, and execution. Has recruited, hired, and developed outstanding engineering leaders (who are also proven recruiters). And, has managed seasoned executives
- Has driven growth, productivity, and quality
- Has proven outward-facing skills (recruiting, client consulting, public speaking)
- Is willing to work in San Francisco
- Has owned a set of technically complex, interrelated products
- Has achieved a level of excellence or mastery of best engineering principles, practices, tools
- Has led groups within large and small companies
- Has driven “change management” programs
- Has collaboratively formulated corporate or business-unit-level strategies and plans
- Has developed a Bay Area professional network
- Has 10+ years experience in software, with 5+ years of management experience
- Earned an advanced degree in STEM, ideally CS. MBA would be beneficial
KeepTruckin is a rapidly growing startup headquartered in San Francisco. We offer fantastic benefits, a phenomenal office culture, unlimited PTO, and a stocked kitchen. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity in the workforce. We consider qualified applicants without regard to sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status.