VA Mortgage Underwriter
Annapolis, MD /
Operations – Underwriting /
Full-time (Remote/Work From Home)
Keller Mortgage (an affiliate of Keller Williams Realty) is one of the country’s fastest growing mortgage companies in the country! We employ over 800 employees, and we are licensed to operate in 49 States (soon to be all 50). In 2019, per Scotsman Guide, we were the 47th largest Mortgage Lender in the United States, with a loan volume of over $2.9 billion. We also placed 40 of our loan officers onto Scotsman’s Guide list of Top Originators (based on volume) for 2019, which represents about 40% of our loan officers. In 2020, we closed over $5.7 billion in loans, and we are expecting even more growth in 2021. Come join the Keller Mortgage family!
- Independently analyze loan files to ensure adherence to: Regulations and legal standards governing mortgage lending. Loan programs and guidelines, including superior knowledge of conventional, conforming, non-conforming, and government programs and guidelines.
- Make independent decisions regarding acceptability of loan files and approval/denial of loan applications
- Critically analyze loan files to ensure that information is compliant with lending guidelines and legal standards, including “red flags”, suspicious activity standards, and ethical lending standards
- Application of program requirements, lending guidelines, regulations and appropriate credit policies to loan files in order to approve or deny credit or advise senior management
- Work with loan originators and production staff to acquire required documents in order to verify the income and employment details of the applicant, review the applicant's credit profile, analyze financial statements, and consider other information in order to act on loan and credit requests
- Examine loan documentation for accuracy and completeness and determine whether additional information may be required in order to make a credit decision
- Examine and analyze assets, liabilities, income and debt information related to applicants, in order to make a credit decision
- Evaluate and review appraisal reports and collateral issues related to real estate in order to determine whether it may properly support the approval of a loan application the loan
- Exhibit superior decision-making skills that are supported by relevant details and research
- Compare automated underwriting to specific loan-file criteria in order to determine whether waiver or deviation from suggested guidelines may be appropriate. Exercise sound discretion in such a review in order to arrive at final decision or recommendation
- Utilize automated underwriting systems such as Desktop Underwriter and Loan Prospector in order to assist in the execution of the duties and responsibilities of the role
- May provide training and direction to team members in order to assure clear understanding of compliance and lending guidelines, particularly with those intending to eventually serve in an Underwriter role
- Possess the authority to withdraw and decline loans. May develop and recommend modifications to underwriting and production procedures if the need exists or circumstances change
- Prompt and exhaustive communication (via phone, email or fax) with various parties throughout the process
- May respond to individual and investor audits
- Other duties as required
- Five or more years of experience as an Underwriter or in the mortgage processing arena
- Demonstrated knowledge of mortgage lending regulations and procedures
- Demonstrated knowledge of underwriting guidelines and loan documents
- Functional efficiency utilizing the DU and LP applications; preferred candidates will have experience with the DE and LP applications, as well as in-depth knowledge of Fannie Mae, FHA, VA, USDA guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, both verbally and in writing, to fellow employees, customers and external vendors in a professional, articulate and respectful manner throughout the entire loan process
- Demonstrated ability to handle delicate situations with diplomacy and tact
- Proven organizational, prioritization and time management skills
- Proven experience meeting deadlines, while producing error-free work
- Proven strong customer service skills
- Strong analytical and auditing skills; along with a firm grasp of mathematical concepts
- A passion and desire to continuously improve their style and work productivity
- Strong technical skills and ability to work in a paperless environment
- Encompass software experience preferred
- High school diploma or Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related field is preferred.
- This position description is intended to be dynamic and subject to change. Position requirements and essential functions may be altered from time to time based upon the needs of the organization and department. This position may be required to execute special projects or other related duties on occasion.
This position description is intended to be dynamic and subject to change. Position requirements and essential functions may be altered from time to time based upon the needs of the organization and department. This position may be required to execute special projects or other related duties on occasion.
Keller Mortgage is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action employer. We celebrate diversity and inclusiveness, and we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.