Senior Backend Software Engineer
New York City, NY /
AI Toolkit – AI Toolkit /
At Kensho, we hire talented people and give them the autonomy, support, and resources needed to build cutting edge technology and products. We produce a suite of AI-powered solutions that solves the challenges of the largest, most successful businesses and institutions, helping them make sense out of a world full of messy data.
Kensho’s AI Toolkit group develops the software that delivers Kensho’s AI capabilities to our customers. Our teams are small, product-focused, and intent on shipping high-quality code that best leverages our efforts. We’re collegial, humble, and inquisitive, and we delight in learning from teammates with backgrounds, skills, and interests different from our own.
As a Senior Backend Engineer in the AI Toolkit group, you will develop the software behind our reliable, secure, and performant APIs. You will collaborate with colleagues from Machine Learning, Product, and Infrastructure, as well as with other engineers within AI Toolkit. You have a demonstrated capacity for depth, but are comfortable working with a broad range of technologies. You are a thoughtful, deliberate technologist and share your knowledge generously.
At Kensho, we believe in flexibility-first, and give our employees the opportunity to work from where they feel most productive and engaged (must be in the United States). We also value in-person collaboration, so there may be times when travel to one of our Kensho hubs (NY/DC/MA) will be required for team meetings or company events.
What You'll Do:
- Design, develop, test, document, deploy, maintain, and improve software
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables
- Work with key stakeholders to develop system architectures, API specifications, implementation requirements, and complexity estimates
- Test assumptions through instrumentation and prototyping
- Promote ongoing technical development through code reviews, knowledge sharing, and mentorship
What You'll Need:
- At least five years of direct experience developing SaaS applications within a team
- Thoughtful and efficient communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Experience developing SaaS application backends and APIs using a variety of tools
- Experience turning abstract business requirements into concrete technical plans
- Experience working across many stages of the software development lifecycle
- Sound reasoning about the behavior and performance of loosely-coupled systems
- Proficiency with algorithms (including time and space complexity analysis), data structures, and software architecture
- At least one domain of demonstrable technical depth
Technology You'll Encounter:
- Django, Python 3, PostgreSQL
- Git, Jsonnet, Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes
- Celery, RabbitMQ, Kafka
At Kensho, we pride ourselves on providing top-of-market benefits, including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- 100% company paid premiums
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- 26 weeks of 100% paid Parental Leave (paternity and maternity)
- 401(k) plan with 6% employer matching
- Generous company matching on donations to non-profit charities
- Up to $20,000 tuition assistance toward degree programs, plus up to $4,000/year for ongoing professional education such as industry conferences
- Plentiful snacks, drinks, and regularly catered lunches
- Dog-friendly office (CAM office)
- In-office gyms and showers (CAM, DC)
- Bike sharing program memberships
- Compassion leave and elder care leave
- Mentoring and additional learning opportunities
- Opportunity to expand professional network and participate in conferences and events
Kensho uses machine learning, artificial intelligence, natural language processing and data visualization techniques to solve some of the hardest analytical problems and create breakthrough financial intelligence solutions for our parent company, S&P Global.
Kensho was founded in 2013 by Harvard & MIT alums and was acquired by S&P Global in 2018. Kensho continues to operate as a startup in order to maintain our distinct, independent brand and to promote our breakthrough, innovative culture. Our team of Kenshins enjoy a dynamic and collaborative work environment that runs autonomously from S&P, while leveraging the unparalleled breadth and depth of data and resources available as part of S&P Global. As Kenshins, we pride ourselves on maintaining an innovative culture that depends on diversity and inclusion.
We are an equal opportunity employer that welcomes future Kenshins with all experiences and perspectives. Kensho is headquartered in Cambridge, MA, with offices in New York City, and Washington D.C. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.