Director, Software & Digital Engineering
Remote (Global) /
Software – Software /
Kepler is on a Mission to bring the internet to space. Incorporated in 2015, Kepler’s guiding star is to enable the space economy through the creation of a communication network in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) that will provide connectivity services to other space missions, be they on orbit in LEO, MEO, GEO, or beyond. With an expanding base of early customers and our first 19 satellites in orbit, Kepler is continuing to grow and expand its most important asset – the Team! Based out of our HQ in Toronto and with an office in the UK and a newly formed office in the US we are building towards a truly global company delivering a product for the whole world.
Kepler is looking for a dynamic leader and great team player who enjoys technical challenges in a fast-paced environment, applies sound judgement in successful planning and execution, meets commitments, and communicates effectively with all stakeholders.
As the Director of Software and Digital Design at Kepler, you will be responsible for leading a world class team of software Managers, Engineers and Developers.
Expected time breakdown for this position is as follows:
· Strategic Direction (30%)
· Managerial (30%)
· Recruiting (25%)
· Administrative (15%)
- Direct and inspire our rapidly growing world class Software/Digital team.
- Identify and manage software requirements
- Implement and promote a rapid pace of innovation.
- Manage and mentor engineering managers with respect to their objective setting, objective success, and professional development.
- Support and assist engineering managers in overseeing technical challenges and projects.
- Collaborate with Project and Product Managers to define product requirements, resource plans, features, and communicate to all stakeholders and internal team members
- Stay embedded with the engineering team to clarify business requirements, remove roadblocks, and analyze feasibility.
- Guide new product ideas by providing feasibility assessments and system recommendations
- Provide leadership, coaching and mentoring during weekly 1:1’s, conduct semiannual performance reviews and inspire your team to achieve mission success utilizing Kepler Career Development and Learning & Development programs
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or related discipline
- 5 years experience leading agile software engineering teams
- Driver of continuous process improvement
- Excellent communication, collaboration and teamworking skills
- Adapts well to change in priorities and effectively deals with ambiguity
- Familiarity with Python, C/C++
- Prior experience managing managers in a startup/scaling environment
- Best practices on software/firmware testing and deployment
Kepler Communications Inc. is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, people who identify as LGBT and others who may contribute to diversification in our workplace.
As part of our commitment to accessibility for all persons with disabilities, Kepler will, upon the request of the applicant, provide accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. Please contact our People & Culture team, through our Career Page to make your accommodation needs known and we will consult with you to ensure suitable accommodation is provided.