RAN System Architect
Toronto, Ontario /
Hardware – RF/Antenna /
Kepler is on a Mission to bring the internet to space. Incorporated in 2015, Kepler’s guiding star is to enable the space economy through the creation of a communication network in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) that will provide connectivity services to other space missions, be they on orbit in LEO, MEO, GEO, or beyond. With an expanding base of early customers and our first 19 satellites in orbit, Kepler is continuing to grow and expand its most important asset – the Team! Based out of our HQ in Toronto and with an office in the UK and a newly formed office in the US we are building towards a truly global company delivering a product for the whole world.
Kepler is looking for a technical leader to drive the adoption of cellular standards for satellite use both internally and externally. This person should come from a strong technical point of view and be able to independently prepare technical proposals and analysis that will be accepted by the international community (ITU, 3GPP) as well as relevant teams within Kepler. An exceptional candidate will also have a strong understanding of the strategic and commercial implications of their work.
Influence the adoption and development of 3GPP standards for the satellite industry
Influence the overall direction and strategy for IoT at Kepler
Drive adoption of new technologies or features within cellular standards on a global level
Identify and scope key hires to support the growth of the team as required
Work on spectrum issues and policy at the national, and international level
- Advocate for Kepler’s/ priorities within 3GPP by preparing technical documents / analysis, building consensus / coalitions across companies, and attending relevant meetings to convey the above.
- Identify strategic opportunities or business cases by understanding industry trends, conducting analysis / due diligence, understanding of Kepler’s strategic and business objectives and attending relevant meetings
- Provide technical input for Kepler’s engineering team, at the preliminary/conceptual design phase, requirements generation, and verification.
- Build a small team to support the above as needed
- Significant accomplishments at 3GPP, ETSI, or similar body
- Track record of technical excellence demonstrated through significant technical leadership role in the design of a communications system or significant analysis done for 3GPP, ITU, FCC etc.
- Strong knowledge of the fundamentals covering layers 1-3: link budget, modulation, error correction, multiple access, MAC layer design, digital signal processing
- Detailed knowledge of 3GPP (4G/5G) communications stack (e.g., OFDM, PRACH, HARQ, RLC, PDPC, eNB, ePC)
- Software skills for simulation/technical analysis (e.g. MATLAB, Python) ideally in a collaborative environment (i.e. Git)
- Experience building and managing small teams
- Satellite experience
- IoT/M2M Experience
Kepler Communications Inc. is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, people who identify as LGBT and others who may contribute to diversification in our workplace.
As part of our commitment to accessibility for all persons with disabilities, Kepler will, upon the request of the applicant, provide accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. Please contact our People & Culture team, through our Career Page to make your accommodation needs known and we will consult with you to ensure suitable accommodation is provided.