Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Culver City, CA /
Engineering - Software /
Permanent | Full-time
Kernel is building state-of-the-art hardware for acquiring high-quality brain signal data. Our world-class team of neuroscientists, engineers, and physicists have developed hardware that can successfully acquire data non-invasively at a much lower cost and in a much more open environment compared to what is currently available. By overcoming these two major limitations that are currently holding back the progress of understanding the brain, we are able to enable Neuroscience as a Service (NaaS)--neuroscience studies at the touch of a button.
If you consider yourself a passionate developer who raises expectations and dares to dream big, Kernel can meet your ambitions. We’re looking for an experienced software engineer with a background in C++ systems application development. The software team works closely with engineers and scientists throughout the company to deliver high quality features at a rapid pace. Successful applicants will take ownership of development, deployment, and testing of critical embedded systems.
Neuroscience is the new rocket science.
- Design application-level programs for embedded hardware
- Create APIs for accessing and controlling embedded components
- Work with scientists and engineers to develop analysis and control applications
- Work directly with neuroscientists to process real time data
- Design future software architectures for our portfolio of products
- Build and maintains a clean, concise, and modular codebase
- Have a high ethic of software quality and a desire to accelerate software production by following best practices in unit testing and continuous integration
- B.S., Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering
- Proficient in C++
- Experience shipping high performance applications
- Comfortable writing unit tests and building a well documented and maintainable codebase (familiar with proper version control, continuous integration pipelines etc.)
- You stretched yourself by earning a graduate degree (MS) in CS, EE, or related field
- You’ve built systems handling high-rate data or tight timing constraints and know how to get every last bit of performance out of hardware
- You’ve worked on building consumer products shipped with custom hardware devices
- You are skilled at debugging complex problems with data races in transfer and execution
- You know enough networking basics to operate a local network
- You’ve kept up on the best practices in the field
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license.