Manufacturing Tooling Designer
Culver City, CA (Onsite) /
Onsite | Permanent | Full-time
Kernel is building world leading, non-invasive brain interface technology.
We are looking for a talented tooling designer to work with the manufacturing team in translating technologies from concept to production. You will work with the engineering teams to improve their designs for manufacturability while you design, build, and test your own custom tools and test fixtures to allow reliable assembly of Kernel hardware. You will also work closely with assembly technicians to understand the challenges they face in production and improve their processes and tools.
Neuroscience is the new rocket science.
- Develop mid-high volume production tooling for opto-electo-mechanical assemblies
- Support mechanical design and integration of production test stations
- Take ownership of projects through their entire lifecycle, from initial concept generation through fabrication and production bring-up
- Create and maintain CAD design files and related documentation in PDM vault
- Manage fabrication of designed parts by both in-house3D printing and external suppliers
- Support fast-moving projects that vary in scope and complexity
- As needed, help write and maintain build procedures, and manage manufacturing planning
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 1-3 years experience designing tooling and fixtures to aid in production manufacturing or test
- Comfortable using Solidworks to design parts and detailed drawings
- Design of parts for rapid prototyping
- Great communication skills including sharing design intent and decision methods
- Experience in design of automated test stations
- Understanding of material science and selection
- Proficient with Solidworks to design parts and detailed drawings
- Familiarity with drafting standards and the application of GD&T
- Experience with manufacturing process development, facility and line layouts, process failure mode effects analysis, and error proofing
- Prior experience running machining equipment such as lathes and mills
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license.