Staff Backend Software Engineer (Python)
Culver City, CA (Onsite) /
Engineering - Software /
Onsite | Permanent | Full-time
Kernel is building world leading, non-invasive brain interface technology.
We are looking for a skilled, self-driven problem-solver with expertise in backend software engineering to build APIs and client applications which will support the launch of our hardware devices to market.
Neuroscience is the new rocket science.
- Design and implement Python cloud APIs to ingest time series brain data, organize it, and manage the processes around data collection such as study participation
- Assist in building our AWS data lake, ETL infrastructure, and self-service analysis product
- Enhance our PyQt UIs used by our early customers and help evolve their future direction
- Improve our Rust acquisition client while maintaining high performance and robustness
- Help our scientists and physicists automate their hardware tasks with computer vision and actuator control
- Maintain a clean, concise and modular codebase and deliver high quality, well-tested code
- Be driven, able to defend architectural choices, and are comfortable working in a flat organization
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience
- We code mostly in Python and Rust today; you should be able to demonstrate comfort, proficiency, and mastery in either of these or demonstrate flexibility in learning these on the job
- Know your way around *nix environments (bash/zsh), git, and other CLI tools
- Proficiency in communication protocols such as HTTP, websockets, TCP, and UDP
- Prior experience in and understanding tradeoffs of relational and non-relational databases and object stores
- Used cloud platforms at scale and are familiar with messaging and job queues
- Comfortable with multiple languages and being able to interoperate between them
- Able to independently debug a wide array of issues and not afraid of diving into 3rd party source code to do so
- Pay attention to access controls, privacy, and security
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license.