Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Culver City, CA /
Engineering - Software /
Permanent | Full-time
Kernel is building world leading, non-invasive brain interface technology.
If you've previously launched embedded devices to the public and dare to dream big, Kernel can meet your ambitions. We’re looking for an experienced embedded software engineer who has brought hardware to market. The embedded software team works closely with electrical engineers, neuroscientists, and customers throughout the company to deliver high quality features at a rapid pace. Successful applicants will take ownership of development, testing, and deployment of critical embedded systems.
Neuroscience is the new rocket science.
- Develop low level drivers to bring up new embedded hardware
- Work with hardware engineers to bring up and debug new embedded hardware systems
- Lead by example and create application-level programs and drivers for embedded hardware
- Build and maintain a clean, concise, and modular codebase
- Have a high ethic of software quality and a desire to accelerate software production by following best practices in unit testing and continuous integration
- B.S., Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering
- 3+ years of professional embedded software development experience
- Proficient in C++ or very proficient in C
- Strong knowledge of low level concepts like serial protocols (SPI, I2C), real time operating systems, interrupts, and memory layouts.
- Experience shipping high performance embedded applications
- Comfortable building a well documented and maintainable codebase (familiar with proper version control, continuous integration pipelines etc.)
- Familiarity with common embedded problems such as networking, communication, security, and power management
- You’ve created systems handling high-rate data or tight timing constraints and know how to get every last bit of performance out of hardware
- You’ve built consumer products shipped with custom hardware devices and various peripherals
- You’ve designed systems using low power management
- You’ve written code that uses TPMs to secure both outbound communication and data flows on the device itself
- You are skilled at debugging complex problems with data races in transfer and execution
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license.