Director of Embedded Systems
Culver City, CA /
Engineering - Software /
Permanent | Full-time
Kernel is building world leading, non-invasive brain interface technology.
If you’ve previously launched embedded devices to the public and dare to dream big, Kernel can meet your ambitions. We’re looking for an experienced embedded systems engineer who has brought hardware to market. The embedded team develops hardware and software systems that enable our neuroscientists and customers to deliver high quality features at a rapid pace. Successful applicants will take ownership of architecting, developing, testing, and deploying critical embedded systems.
Neuroscience is the new rocket science.
- Oversee embedded hardware and software development roadmap, manage new feature requests, prioritize enhancements, and support internal development
- Develop new embedded architectures to support our growing product development plans
- Collaborate tightly with higher-level software development team
- Manage the team’s execution against deadlines for customer deliveries and releases
- Build, review, and maintain a clean, concise, and modular codebase
- Have a high ethic of software quality and a desire to accelerate software production by following best practices in testing and continuous integration
- Build, grow, and develop a team of software and hardware engineers
- B.S., Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering
- 10+ years of experience developing embedded systems
- Proficient in C/C++
- History of successfully shipping high performance embedded applications
- Previously led new product development initiatives starting from concept through production
- Familiarity with common embedded concerns such as networking, communication, security, and power management
- You’ve created systems handling high-rate data or tight timing constraints and know how to get every last bit of performance out of hardware
- You’ve built consumer products shipped with custom hardware devices and various peripherals
- You’ve designed systems that tightly manage power consumption
- You’ve used embedded security accelerators and peripherals to implement secure, encrypted communication
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license.