TD-NIRS Reconstruction Scientist
Culver City, CA /
Machine Learning | Data Science /
Permanent | Full-time
Kernel creates the interfaces and insights necessary to unlock the greatest scientific unknown: the inner workings of the human brain and mind. We started in 2016 and are a full-stack neurotech company with scientists and engineers controlling every step from chip design to optics; control software to ML; experimental design to analysis. Understanding, interfacing with, and improving the brain requires a technological revolution at every level.
Our first product, Kernel Flow, is a non-invasive brain interface which records real-time, cortical hemodynamics to establish precise patterns of brain activity. Designed as the first commercially-scalable time-domain near-infrared spectroscopy (TD-fNIRS) system in history, Flow features
*Whole head coverage
*Single connector USB-C I/O
*1,000+ source-detector pairs
*690nm 850nm wavelengths
*200 Hz sampling frequency
To improve our neural activity estimation on Flow, we are looking for an expert in 3D neural activity reconstruction from fNIRS data.
- Master’s degree in physics, neuroscience, or related quantitative field
- Strong python programming skills
- Intimate understanding of fNIRS and its theoretical foundations
- Experience with radiative transfer modeling and photon diffusion simulations
- Experience with inverse modeling from diffuse optical data
- PhD in physics, neuroscience, or related quantitative field
- Experience with quantitative 3D neural activity reconstruction from experimental fNIRS data
- Experience with time domain (TD) fNIRS in particular
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license.