Financial Analyst Internship
Washington, DC /
Nithio – Finance /
Nithio is a venture-backed finance and analytics platform that uses advanced data analytics and machine learning to improve credit scoring capabilities for businesses, capital providers, governments, and other stakeholders in the distributed energy sector in Africa. The company aims to address the acute need for modern energy access on the continent by providing a sustainable infrastructure for capital delivery, offering state-of-the-art underwriting tools, and a powerful information sharing platform for stakeholders to identify high-need grant recipients and credit-worthy customers. The platform offers flexible financing options by intermediating across providers of debt, concessional finance, and grants and leveraging partnerships with leading financial institutions and multilateral organizations.
Summary of Position
- The Financial Analyst Intern will assist Nithio’s Investment Team through the credit cycle and financial analysis and modeling. The successful candidate will have strong quantitative and problem-solving skills, an ability to translate complex problems into clear frameworks, and an entrepreneurial mindset. As a lean, entrepreneurial company, flexibility and willingness to pitch in wherever needed is critical.
- This position will perform a range of duties including, but not limited to, the following:
- Support transactions due diligence and credit analysis of existing and/or new borrowers; preparing financial projections; participating in calls with the team for loan structuring and document negotiations; monitoring ongoing performance of facilities, tracking covenants.
- Assist in performing credit analysis of the financial condition and credit-worthiness of existing and prospective borrowers using analysis of historical and projected financial statements (income, cash flow, balance sheet), P&L, tax returns, biographical data, market information, credit reports and other data; manage client on-boarding, KYC/AML reviews
- Assist in credit monitoring of the existing portfolio companies.
- Support customized client engagements (e.g., investors, distributed energy companies, policymakers, and development agencies)
- Support the creation of the operational documents/models
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Currently enrolled in Bachelor’s, or Master’s in a quantitative field (Business, Finance, Mathematics, Economics, Engineering or in a related field)
- 0-1 years of work experience/internships in either investment banking, private equity, debt funds, or corporate finance. Strong analytical skills with financial modeling experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel
- Outstanding communication and writing skills
- Strong judgment and critical thinking skills, with the ability to articulate and present points of view and ideas effectively
- Results-oriented individual with a proactive and creative approach to problem-solving
- Proven ability to successfully prioritize multiple, competing priorities with strong attention to detail
- Entrepreneurial mindset; confidence and can-do attitude
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with senior executives
- Demonstrated interest or previous experience working in Africa and/or emerging markets is preferred but not required
Nithio offers a dedication to professional development, and a flexible work environment. Due to the impacts of COVID-19, all Nithio staff are working remotely from home until further notice. As we transition back to office-based work, the default location for the candidate will be our Washington, DC office. However, consideration for permanently remote status may be possible for exceptional candidates located in other geographies, including outside the United States.
Nithio is committed to embracing the diversity of views and backgrounds that our colleagues bring, and to helping them achieve their professional and personal goals. We believe a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion among our team enables us to better serve our clients and achieve our central mission of increasing access to energy and financial services. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, women, LGBTQ+ people, and/or people with intersectional identities.
Nithio recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, family status, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.