Data Scientist -- Methods
Arlington, VA /
Fraym – Data Science /
Fraym is a geospatial data company that uses proprietary machine learning algorithms to deliver precise, local-level information about people in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. The company helps fast-growing companies, government agencies, and development organizations succeed in places where data has been traditionally hard to access. Fraym’s granular data adds an entirely new dimension to strategic and operational planning discussions, and answers questions like, ‘where are concentrations of my target beneficiaries?’, and ‘what services do they need?’
Fraym is seeking a data scientist to grow our analytical product offerings and improve predictive algorithms in a small data context. Your contributions will support decisions made in emerging markets across commercial, international development, and intelligence sectors.
You should have a strong data science background and experience applying modelling techniques to a practical use case. If you enjoy having the opportunity to build client-driven solutions from data wrangling to delivered product, this position is for you. Preference will be given to applicants with experience in algorithm design, analytic solutions, and/or spatiotemporal modeling.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Testing new methods and approaches to build better sociodemographic predictions in markets with limited training data
- Contributing to the development of product offerings and capabilities such as machine learning applications, data subscription packages, and inventive data visualizations
- Developing workflows and identifying new applications of methodologies for company-initiated use-cases leveraging multiple data sources, as well as generalizing methodologies developed in-house
- Managing and growing research projects from inception to full scale workflows, products, and applications
- Working within interdisciplinary project teams to drive data driven decision-making by building and scaling predictive models
You will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in a related field.
- At least 2 years of data science and/or data analyst work; preference will be given to applicants with practical experience applying data science tools and methods in a social science context.
- Essential skills: Python (sklearn, numpy, etc.) and/or R (tidyverse, caret, etc.), and working in a cloud computing environment (AWS).
- Experience with or interest in geospatial data (vector and raster)
- Enjoy advancing projects both on one's own and collaboratively
- Ability to quickly develop technical skills and learn new tools with minimal mentorship and supervision.
- Desire to work for a mission-based company
Not sure you tick all the boxes? We encourage you to apply. We have a culture of learning, and if this job description sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you.
Fraym offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a full benefits package.
Fraym recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, family status, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. For qualified applicants, Fraym also offers visa sponsorship of international candidates.
Interested? Please submit your application with a resume and short statement answering “Why Fraym.”