Washington, DC /
Nithio – Risk Analytics /
Nithio is a venture-backed finance and analytics platform that uses advanced data analytics and machine learning to improve credit scoring capabilities for businesses, capital providers, governments, and other stakeholders in the distributed energy sector in Africa. The company aims to address the acute need for modern energy access on the continent by providing a sustainable infrastructure for capital delivery, offering state-of-the-art underwriting tools, and a powerful information sharing platform for stakeholders to identify high-need grant recipients and credit-worthy customers. The platform offers flexible financing options by intermediating across providers of debt, concessional finance, and grants and leveraging partnerships with leading financial institutions and multilateral organizations.
Summary of Position
The successful candidate will have a strong quantitative background, experience working with Python, and above all an entrepreneurial, inventive, experiment-driven mindset. Preference will be given to applicants with experience in geospatial analysis, relevant sector expertise (energy, credit assessments, etc.), and/or experience on the African continent.
This position will perform a range of duties including, but not limited to, the following:
- Sit at the center of R&D: design, train, test, and implement algorithmic models core to Nithio’s products and services.
- Ensure project and product success: Collaborate across the team to provide successful data science solutions for Nithio’s clients, including framing business requirements, selecting appropriate technical approaches, and executing on project deliverables.
- Make data science accessible: Document pipelines and processes clearly and support other team members in understanding and using data science workflows and outputs.
- Measure, learn, repeat: Help design and track KPIs for models and products, and identify approaches to improve performance, mitigate risks, and align on business goals.
- Effectively communicate complexity: Synthesize, visualize, and communicate results to both internal and external stakeholders, through dashboards, plots, presentations and reports.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- 2+ years of experience with applied quantitative methods and/or programming; minimum 1 year applied machine learning experience.
- Intermediate to advanced Python (numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, etc.) and SQL skills; additional experience with R is a plus.
- Training and experience with applied statistics and quantitative modeling (e.g. regression, survival analysis, segmentation, experimentation, and machine learning).
- Familiarity with version control and software engineering fundamentals.
- Outstanding communication and writing skills, with the ability to translate complex and technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Results-oriented with a record of delivering value to stakeholders.
- Nithio offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, a full benefit package, dedication to professional development, and a flexible work environment.
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, all Nithio staff are working remotely from home until further notice. As we transition back to office-based work, the default location for the candidate will be our Washington, DC office. However, consideration for permanently remote status may be possible for exceptional candidates located in other geographies, including outside the United States.
Nithio is committed to embracing the diversity of views and backgrounds that our colleagues bring, and to helping them achieve their professional and personal goals. We believe a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion among our team enables us to better serve our clients and achieve our central mission of increasing access to energy and financial services. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, women, LGBTQ+ people, and/or people with intersectional identities.
Nithio recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, family status, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.