Spatial Data Scientist
Fraym – Spatial
Fraym was built to help fast-growing companies, development organizations, and government agencies succeed in Africa. Before Fraym, decision-makers had to rely on anecdotes, “gut feel,” or expensive primary data collection to make critical decisions. Fraym offers a better way: we provide localized data on communities and populations across all of Africa.
To do this, we weave together household survey data and satellite imagery with proprietary machine learning algorithms to produce hyper-local insights across the continent. This exclusive data platform helps companies and organizations understand and reach specific populations.
As a spatial data scientist, you grow and improve predictive algorithms in a small data context. You should have a strong data science background, experience working with large geospatial datasets. Your work will support decisions made in emerging markets across private and public sectors. Please note, this is not a GIS position. Preference will be given to applicants with experience in remote sensing, machine learning, predictive analytics, and/or cloud-based computing systems (AWS, Azure, etc.).
You will perform a range of duties including, but not limited to, the following:
- Build and adapt machine learning algorithms to detect geospatial features.
- Support customized client engagements (e.g., investors, government analysts, and development agencies).
- Analyze image and raster data acquired from sensors, satellites, or ground-based platforms, using statistical analysis software, or image analysis software.
- Prepare analytical products, including presentations, briefings, and other materials.
- Grow organizational capacity both in the creation of new products and system, as well as working across both technical and non-technical teams.
You will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in a related field.
- At least 2 years of data science and/or geospatial work
- Training in satellite imagery analysis, spatial surface interpolation, network analysis, and/or other types of GIS analysis.
- Essential software skills: GIS (Q, Arc, etc.), Python (sklearn, numpy, etc.) and/or R (raster, rgdal and caret)
- Enjoys advancing discrete projects both independently and collaboratively, and are able to quickly grow technical skills with minimal mentorship and supervision.
Benefits offered to you:
- Competitive, market-based salary commensurate with experience
- Competitive Benefit Package (medical, dental, vision)
- Commitment to work-life balance
- Opportunities for career advancement and professional development in a fast-growing company.
Interested applicants should submit their application with a resume, cover letter, and sample work product.
Fraym recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, family status, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.