Arlington, VA /
Fraym – Data Science /
Fraym is a geospatial data company that uses proprietary machine learning algorithms to deliver precise, local-level information about people in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. The company helps fast-growing companies, government agencies, and development organizations succeed in places where data has been traditionally hard to access. Fraym’s granular data adds an entirely new dimension to strategic and operational planning discussions, and answers questions like, ‘where are concentrations of my target beneficiaries?’, and ‘what services do they need?
Fraym is seeking a data engineer to improve our data management practices and enable data science workflows at scale. Your contributions will support decisions made in emerging markets across commercial, international development, and intelligence sectors.
You will be part of team responsible for implementing Fraym’s new data management platform (DMP) and will play a critical role in scaling our existing solutions. You will be responsible for transitioning new and existing data pipelines into the DMP, identifying and brainstorming solutions for gaps in the DMP architecture and contributing to the creation and maintenance of data pipelines for survey and raster datasets.
You should have a strong background in data engineering and experience building cloud-based data pipelines and applications. We are looking for someone who can think of and implement creative solutions to managing diverse and messy data. Preference will be given to applicants with additional experience in managing databases and/or building ETL pipelines, particularly for data with spatial attributes, including raster data.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Designing ETL pipelines that ensure the quality, consistency, and availability of data used in machine learning workflows
- Contributing to the design and implementation of AWS-based data management systems that integrate household surveys, satellite imagery, and other spatial data
- Working with data scientists to create tools that simplify internal data discovery and analysis
- Collaborate with business development and client facing teams to expand external data delivery options
You will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in a related field
- At least 2 years of data engineering and/or data science work; preference will be given to applicants with practical experience building and maintaining cloud-based data processing pipelines
- Essential skills: Experience with databases, Python, engineering best practices (testing, deployment management, containerization)
- Desired skills: AWS Batch, NoSQL databases (Hbase), distributed and/or parallel processing of data (Spark, Dask), GeoNode family of tools
- Enjoy advancing projects both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to quickly develop technical skills and learn new tools with minimal mentorship and supervision.
- Desire to work for a mission-based company
Not sure you tick all the boxes? We encourage you to apply. We have a culture of learning, and if this job description sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you.
Fraym offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a full benefits package.
Fraym recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, family status, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. For qualified applicants, Fraym also offers visa sponsorship of international candidates.
Interested? Please submit your application with a resume and short statement answering “Why Fraym.”
We will begin contacting applicants November 2nd.