Independent Investment Committee Member
Location Flexible /
Nithio – Finance /
Nithio is a venture-backed finance and analytics platform that uses advanced data analytics and machine learning to improve credit scoring capabilities for businesses, capital providers, governments, and other stakeholders in the distributed energy sector in Africa. The company aims to address the acute need for modern energy access on the continent by providing a sustainable infrastructure for capital delivery, offering state-of-the-art underwriting tools, and a powerful information sharing platform for stakeholders to identify high-need grant recipients and credit-worthy customers. The platform offers flexible financing options by intermediating across providers of debt, concessional finance, and grants and leveraging partnerships with leading financial institutions and multilateral organizations.
Summary of Position
Nithio Finance’s Investment Committee for its dedicated Financial Intermediary Nithio FI b.v. is comprised of Nithio’s CEO, CIO, General Counsel, Finance and Operations Director, and Chief Data Scientist, in addition to the Independent Member. Its purpose is to implement and manage Nithio FI’s investment strategy by assessing the findings of Nithio’s due diligence process to approve new loan facilities, as well as any waivers, extensions, amendments to existing facilities.
The Independent Investment Committee member will use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the committee reach sound investment decisions. The successful candidate will not just have the sector expertise, analytic and communication skills to contribute to the Committee’s investment decisions, but a strong personal interest in Nithio’s mission to promote energy access and financial inclusion across Africa.
This position will perform a range of duties including, but not limited to, the following:
- Participate in monthly Investment Committee meetings, held virtually
- Participate in monthly Portfolio Review Meetings, held virtually, to discuss the loan portfolio, individual loan performance and provisioning
- Supporting the Committee in its capacity as the Early Alert Review (“EAR”) committee, responsible for identifying any potentially problematic accounts at an early stage so that remedial action can be initiated early and appropriately before the potential problem becomes serious
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s, or Master’s in a quantitative field (Business, Finance, Mathematics, Economics, Engineering or in a related field)
- Experience in financial risk management in the off-grid solar or energy distribution sectors
- Proven expertise and experience in corporate financial analysis, loan origination and monitoring
- Strong analytical skills
- Outstanding communication and writing skills
- Strong judgment and critical thinking skills, with the ability to articulate and present points of view and ideas effectively
- Results oriented individual with a proactive and creative approach to problem solving
- Based in Africa is strongly preferred but not required
Nithio is committed to embracing the diversity of views and backgrounds that our colleagues bring, and to helping them achieve their professional and personal goals. We believe a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion among our team enables us to better serve our clients and achieve our central mission of increasing access to energy and financial services. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, women, LGBTQ+ people, and/or people with intersectional identities.
Nithio recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, family status, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.