Engineering Manager, Mobile
Kickstarter is looking for an Engineering Manager to build and lead a team of engineers responsible for delivering best-in-class Android and iOS apps.
About the Team
Our Engineering team is highly collaborative. We care about crafting code for the long-term, shipping great product efficiently, and continually learning and teaching. We work in close partnership with designers and product managers in an iterative and experiment-driven process, helping to bring creative projects to life.
About the Role
While you won’t be expected to have significant code contributions, you will help with technical decisions, coach and support the career growth of engineers reporting to you, and partner with product managers and designers. On a typical day, you can expect to coach engineers to level up their technical and soft skills, plan and scope future projects, help unblock engineers, fix a bug, or guide new feature development.
Kickstarter Native Apps:
- Are written in a functional reactive style with similar patterns in both iOS and Android
- Are open source! Our team prioritizes accessibility.
- On the iOS side, are written in Swift and use ReactiveSwift heavily while minimizing dependencies, having close to 100% test coverage!
- On the Android side, are written in Java and Kotlin, leveraging RxJava heavily with unit tests for every ViewModel.
In This Role, You Will:
- Serve as a mentor, holding regular one-on-one meetings with engineers on your team.
- Be an advocate for your team’s needs.
- Guide your team’s career development with routine feedback.
- Ensure your team is collaborating, communicating, and shipping efficiently.
- You have 3+ years of software development experience as an iOS and/or Android engineer and at least 2 years of experience as a manager of an engineering team.
- You have led a team of mobile engineers to successfully ship native apps at scale.
- You’ve worked with cross-functional teams, ideally with non-technical employees.
- You are a creative problem solver who understands and can articulate the tradeoffs involved in technical approaches, and can demonstrate pragmatism and resourcefulness when confronted with constraints.
- You continuously demonstrate empathy with non-technical audiences and engineers whose area of interest lie outside of the product development space.
Kickstarter is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.
Kickstarter is a Public Benefit Corporation, and our mission is to help bring creative projects to life. We measure our success as a company by how well we achieve that mission, not by the size of our profits. In our charter, we spell out our mission, our values, and the commitments we have made to pursue them.