Senior Software Engineer, Personalization & Recommendations
Kickstarter is looking for a Personalization & Recommendations Engineer in our Brooklyn office who wants to help backers find and support inspiring projects. In this role, you’ll work on the Backer Development team to build and improve our recommendations system to enable personalization across our web, mobile app, and email platforms.
About the Team
Kickstarter’s Engineering team develops our platform that helps bring creative projects to life. As part of that mission, the Backer Development team focuses on engaging, nurturing, and growing our passionate community of backers who support creative work. We work collaboratively, and use iterative, data-driven processes to build and refine our platform. Our team is responsible for Kickstarter’s search experience and recommendations system. Search is powered by ElasticSearch and our recommendations system is being modernized to further leverage advances in machine learning. We are investing heavily in personalization and we’ll be researching, implementing, and deploying machine learning techniques as we build out a robust, scalable recommendations system.
In This Role, You Will:
- Apply your experience in personalization and recommendations to Kickstarter’s unique challenge of matching new backers with time-sensitive projects.
- Work closely and collaboratively with product managers, designers, and other engineers.
- Keep the secure and ethical use of user data top-of-mind to build personalization products that respect user privacy and are aligned with our PBC charter.
- Iteratively develop, scale, and improve our fledgling recommendations engine.
- Design and implement new recommendations strategies and apply them to user-facing products.
- Monitor and understand the performance of our search and recommendations algorithms.
- You have 4+ years professional experience as a software engineer.
- You have practical experience working on personalization, classifications, and recommendations systems in production environments and are excited to apply that experience to a new set of challenges.
- You have excellent communication skills and are good at giving and receiving feedback.
- You have experience working with Solr, ElasticSearch, Lucene or similar system.
- You are familiar with machine learning techniques used for personalization.
- You have some experience implementing Machine Learning in Python using Pandas, SciKit-Learn, or similar languages and libraries.
- You have experience working iteratively and maintaining live products.
- You enjoy working collaboratively and participating in team discussions and planning.
- You have experience mentoring other engineers.
- You work with an eye toward performance, maintainability, and systemic solutions.
- You are familiar with storing and retrieving large datasets through AWS managed services.
Kickstarter is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.