Director of Engineering
Kickstarter, PBC is looking for an experienced Director of Engineering to lead and inspire our engineering team.
About the Team
Our engineers are embedded within cross-functional teams that rally behind our core mission: bringing creative projects to life. In addition to supporting our creators and backers, we care about crafting code for the long-term, shipping great products efficiently, and continually learning and teaching. We work in close partnership with designers and product managers in an iterative and experiment-driven process.
About the Role
While you won’t be expected to have significant code contributions, you will help with technical decisions and contribute to the technical vision of the organization. You’ll coach and develop the engineering managers reporting to you as well as senior engineers. On a typical day you’ll plan and scope future projects with product managers and designers, coach engineers to level up their technical and soft skills, participate in product or company level prioritization conversations and help teams respond to incidents or time sensitive issues.
You will be responsible for developing engineers, ensuring that team members at all levels have opportunities for growth and development. You’ll also help design and refine engineering processes for smooth delivery. Through training and mentorship, you’ll build a sustainable managerial layer where managers are empowered to make strong technical and people management decisions. You’ll oversee different cross-functional teams’ engineering capacity and capability, balancing and advocating for steady progress on the product, the infrastructure, and the total system health.
As a leader, you will work closely with Product and company leadership, communicating the priorities of our teams, defining goals, and ensuring alignment across the organization. Strong communication skills and a collaborative spirit are a must. It will be your role to ensure engineers are empowered to accomplish large technical projects that will help build a better product overall, while simultaneously making progress on shared product priorities across the organization.
We build features with modern frameworks like SASS, Atomic CSS, React, Redux, Apollo, and TypeScript, all backed by a GraphQL API. We use iterative and data-driven processes to build and refine our platform that supports our mission of bringing creative projects to life.
In This Role, You Will:
- Formulate, articulate, and execute a technical vision for a resilient, efficient, and scalable product delivery platform.
- Serve as an accountable and effective leader of engineering teams, providing focus and clarity by promoting a shared vision of quality delivery, mentoring and developing leaders, and creating a responsibility culture.
- Act as a responsible steward of financial resources by managing the budget and expenses for the engineering organization.
- Manage relationships and integrations with vendors and external partners.
- Identify and craft mitigation strategies for security, performance, availability, and financial risk within the product delivery stack.
- Foster a calm work environment that emphasizes transparent systems thinking, teamwork, and healthy preparation.
- Modernize and improve the capabilities of our technical platform and teams through service investment, the retirement of technical debt, and the development of practices and controls.
- You’re skilled at building a technical vision that marries the needs of the business with non-technical objectives.
- You have experience leading and making cross-platform architectural decisions with an awareness of potential long-term and holistic implications.
- You have extensive experience managing teams of engineers (frontend, backend, fullstack, and/or infrastructure) and engineering managers.
- You have experience cultivating engineers and the engineering organization to achieve their highest potential.
- You have experience managing a financial budget for an engineering team.
- You have strong technical acumen and a professional background in object-oriented design and programming.
- You have experience managing relationships with 3rd party vendors and integrations.
- You’ve worked with cross-functional teams, ideally with non-technical employees and leaders.
- You are a creative problem solver who understands and can articulate the tradeoffs involved in technical approaches, and can demonstrate pragmatism and resourcefulness when confronted with constraints.
- You continuously demonstrate empathy with non-technical audiences and engineers whose area of interest lie outside of the product development space.
- You emphasize with creators and recognize the challenges of the creative process and bringing projects to life.
Kickstarter is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.
Kickstarter is a Public Benefit Corporation, and our mission is to help bring creative projects to life. We measure our success as a company by how well we achieve that mission, not by the size of our profits. In our charter, we spell out our mission, our values, and the commitments we have made to pursue them.