Director of Publishing Outreach
Brooklyn, NY /
Kickstarter is seeking an experienced Director of Publishing Outreach to connect with and inspire our community of publishing, comics, and journalism creators across the world.
About the Team
The Outreach & International team engages with, and advocates for, creators in the global creative communities we serve. Managing a large portfolio of relationships, we inspire creators to use Kickstarter to support their projects. We are a multidisciplinary, action-oriented team that believes deeply in the importance of creative independence.
Over the past decade, tens of thousands of writers, publishers, comic book artists, and journalists have come to Kickstarter to share their ideas with the world. We’ve helped creators launch independent books, publishing companies, and serial comics, to name a few. To date, almost 30,000 publishing, comics and journalism projects have found success on Kickstarter — raising over $300 million.
In This Role, You Will:
- Seek out promising publishing and comics creators who could use Kickstarter to bring exemplary projects to life.
- Guide creators through the process of successfully planning, launching, and fulfilling Kickstarter campaigns.
- Help creators craft strong campaigns and advise on launch strategy.
- Liaise with partners in the book and comics publishing ecosystems to help raise Kickstarter’s profile in those communities.
- Plan, host, and attend community events as a representative of Kickstarter, both digital and in-person when that is possible.
- Make the case for Kickstarter in a competitive funding landscape.
- Serve as an internal champion for the needs of publishing and comics creators.
- Collaborate with members of our Outreach team and other internal stakeholders.
- You have deep community ties in the book and/or comics publishing industry. You’re confident in your ability to understand and advocate for these communities’ needs.
- You are a deft communicator, both written and verbal. You guide, educate, question, write, and edit with grace.
- You know how to connect with creative communities and welcome the opportunity to engage with new perspectives.
- You have a demonstrated history of supporting and celebrating creators from underrepresented communities
- You’re a thoughtful and thorough researcher.
- You are familiar with Kickstarter and believe in the opportunity we represent for book publishing and comics creators.
- You are comfortable speaking and presenting to both small and large groups.
- You are comfortable planning, hosting and attending events as a representative of Kickstarter.
- You are comfortable traveling up to 30% of the year (in a post-COVID world).
Kickstarter is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.
Kickstarter is a Public Benefit Corporation, and our mission is to help bring creative projects to life. We measure our success as a company by how well we achieve that mission, not by the size of our profits. In our charter, we spell out our mission, our values, and the commitments we have made to pursue them.