Finance and Accounting /
Notice: Due to the current circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, Kin Insurance has shifted to a remote workforce. While we hope to return to the office sometime soon, our priority is to maintain safe and healthy working conditions for our staff. For that reason, we will continue to operate, interview, and hire on a remote basis until further notice.
Kin Insurance exists to change home insurance from what it is to what it should be. We do this by applying data science and analytics to make decisions, automation to reduce redundancies and unnecessary costs, and innovative thinking to change the way customers interact with and get value from their home insurance provider. We do this because we wholeheartedly believe that customers deserve better from their insurance.
Currently four years old, Kin began with the notion that technology could improve our industry, so we started by researching the most important part of our business: the customer. After building our platform from the ground up, we launched the Kin Interninsurance Network, a customer-owned carrier in Florida. By applying our vision for a data-driven, technology-forward insurance company, we are able to offer customers affordable insurance in a straightforward, simplified approach. Today, Kin is continuing to grow in Florida and has recently expanded to California.
While our approach to home insurance makes us a unique business, the people and culture at Kin are what make us special. We are problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and empathizers who care about one another and have a passion for creating positive change. We each bring a diverse array of experience to Kin that fuels a passion for learning and growth that we foster as a company.
So, what’s the role?
We are looking for an experienced and analytical accountant to own statutory reporting and accounting processes, help with financial reporting, and assist with AR/AP. Kin continues to grow, by size, products, and features, and the statutory accountant will be integral to our success as we expand into new states. They will also help us continue to build strong accounting principles, identify ways to improve our reporting, and at times, work with our insurance team to assist with product features and even assist with some of our carrier forecasting.
A day in the life could include:
- Assisting with regulatory filings, state insurance department requests, and audit requests
- Participating in monthly, quarterly and year-end close processes
- Ensuring financial transactions are recorded accurately and timely
- Working on understanding requirements for state expansion and implementing the necessary updates
- Assisting with forecasting models for the reciprocal carrier
- Working on ad hoc projects with the Accounting Manager and Controller
- Collaborating across the company and at all levels
I’ve got skills...but do I have the necessary ones?
- 3+ years experience in accounting
- GAAP & statutory insurance accounting knowledge
- Experience with the financial close process
- Excellent skills with Microsoft Office products and data analytic tools
- Comfortable working in a dynamic and fast paced startup environment
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
Being in the insurance industry, we recognize the importance of comprehensive benefits for you and your family. That’s why we provide a variety of options and coverage levels to customize a plan that’s right for you. These are just some of the benefits and perks we provide:
Commuter Benefit Plans
Flex Spending Accounts