Site Reliability Engineer
St. Petersburg, FL /
Notice: Due to the current circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, Kin Insurance has shifted to a remote workforce. While we hope to return to the office sometime soon, our priority is to maintain safe and healthy working conditions for our staff. For that reason, we will continue to operate, interview, and hire on a remote basis until further notice.
While this role will start remote, we will require this individual to be based in our St. Petersburg office.
Kin Insurance exists to change home insurance from what it is to what it should be. We do this by applying data science and analytics to make decisions, automation to reduce redundancies and unnecessary costs, and innovative thinking to change the way customers interact with and get value from their home insurance provider. We do this because we wholeheartedly believe that customers deserve better from their insurance.
Currently four years old, Kin began with the notion that technology could improve our industry, so we started by researching the most important part of our business: the customer. After building our platform from the ground up, we launched the Kin Intern Insurance Network, a customer-owned carrier in Florida. By applying our vision for a data-driven, technology-forward insurance company, we are able to offer customers affordable insurance in a straightforward, simplified approach. Today, Kin is continuing to grow in Florida and has recently expanded to California.
While our approach to home insurance makes us a unique business, the people and culture at Kin are what make us special. We are problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and empathizers who care about one another and have a passion for creating positive change. We each bring a diverse array of experience to Kin that fuels a passion for learning and growth that we foster as a company.
So, what’s the role?
As our business continues to grow and scale, Kin is looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to help us to manage our growing cloud infrastructure needs. You'll work closely with our engineering, QA, and product teams to provide best practices, tooling, and support, and enable our continued growth. You will play a critical role in enabling the scaling and security of our cloud infrastructure, as well as our production capacity.
A day in the life could include:
- Maintaining, designing, implementing and upgrading our cloud infrastructure to support our application platforms
- Owning and supporting underlying infrastructure and cross-cutting services such as logging exception tracking and monitoring
- Minimizing risk of site reliability related failure outcomes as pertaining to durability, availability, performance, and security
- Implementing best practices to improve reliability, instituting performance improvements, and improving the software development process, including the buildout of testing environments. This includes engineering solutions for ensuring the reliability of the platform, including mandating a BCP strategy and following sound DevOps practices
- Taking ownership of the production risk environment by monitoring availability and developing metrics for measuring platform health--helping to establish SLAs and KPIs for system availability
- Driving the incident management process for system outages and service degradations
- Helping develop tooling systems, and workflows that assist Kin’s Engineering, QA, and Product team, to achieve high-quality software
- Working throughout the technology stack to develop, and monitor solutions that allow for continued scalability and security
I've got skills...but do I have the necessary ones?
- Background in developing distributed applications, cloud technologies, and delivering self-service infrastructure
- 2+ years of devops / SRE experience
- 2+ years experience with high availability, concurrent distributed infrastructures
- Experience with leading cloud technologies like Amazon Web Services and Terraform
- Extensive experience working with Linux containers, schedulers and surrounding tools such as Docker
- Expertise in creating automated CI/CD Pipelines with tools such as Jenkins and Github Actions
- Proficiency with one or more scripting languages (Ruby, Python, or similar)
- Database administration experience (PostGres preferred)
- At this time, we are unable to sponsor employment visas.
Oh, and don't worry, we’ve got you covered.
Being in the insurance industry, we recognize the importance of comprehensive benefits for you and your family. That’s why we provide a variety of options and coverage levels to customize a plan that fits your needs. These are just some of the benefits and perks we offer:
Commuter Benefit Plans
Flex Spending Accounts
Onsite gym membership - after we return to the office