St. Petersburg, FL
Product and Engineering
At Kin, we’re looking for self-motivated thinkers ready to make a change for our customers. We value tackling challenges and breaking down walls – but being chill about it.
Kin Insurance is an insurtech startup that sells affordable, user-friendly homeowners insurance. Unlike many startups that gather users and figure out how to be profitable later, we are selling a product that homeowners need and depend on now. We’re innovating in an industry largely untouched by tech, so we are always thinking big.
We believe autonomy is key to job satisfaction, which is why we say the person closest to the problem should solve it. It’s also why we offer unlimited vacation time: we trust in our team to manage their own projects and time. If you want the chance to develop your skills, work with some of the best minds in the industry, and see what you’re really capable of, come learn and grow with us.
About the Development Team
You’ll be part of a growing company and a growing but lean development team. In practice, that means you’ll have the support you need to get your work done, but you’ll also have to be familiar with the whole code base and all of our products and services. Our team is business-minded, so everyone has good working knowledge about the company, fundraising, and the insurance industry. The dev team is also cross-functional, so you’ll work with our insurance experts, quality assurance, product team, and operations very closely.
We’re very product-focused and don’t let tech fads get in the way of shipping new features—but we also value clean code, automated testing, and other sustainable practices.
In short: we move fast, are excited about the work we do, and don’t let non-essentials get in the way of building great products.
So, What’s the Role?
You will collaborate daily with various members of our development team, creating and modifying software to improve our customers’ experience. Our main goal at Kin is to make insurance accessible and affordable, and much of this stems from innovation and efficiency.
As a senior engineer, you'll have the ability to mentor and train less experienced engineers as well as assist with design and architecture decisions. We're a low ego team, you won't have full control over these decisions but we expect you to use your expertise to suggest solutions to difficult problems.
A Day in the Life May Include:
- Collaborating with various members of the development team to complete multiple projects. We’re a startup, so we’ll keep you busy
- Providing subject matter expertise and support.
I’ve Got Skills, But Do I Have the Necessary Ones?
- You might be a good fit if you are:
- Comfortable in a startup environment – we’re fast-paced, self-motivated, and determined to change the industry
- A fast learner, ready to bring previous knowledge to this position and continue developing along the way
- A professional developer with a minimum of 2 years of previous experience
- Experienced with designing Ruby, Python, or Node applications
- Examples of helping teams scale quickly
- Enjoy mentoring and training others
- Familiar with fintech – a plus, but not required.
- At this time, we are unable to sponsor employment visas.
Oh, and We’ve Got You Covered
Being in the insurance industry, we recognize the importance of comprehensive benefits for you and your family. That’s why we provide a variety of options and coverage levels to customize a plan that fits your needs. These are just some of the benefits and perks we offer:
Commuter benefit plans
Flex spending accounts
Paid Parental Leave