Senior Product Designer, HealthWeather
Remote - USA /
Design a better world through data with us at Kinsa!
We are looking for a Senior Product Designer who thrives on creating intuitive and engaging consumer product experiences, and who is passionate about translating data into digestible, actionable insights for individuals and communities. The products you create will help a broad range of audiences understand when and where illness is spreading, so they can take action to protect themselves and their communities.
About Kinsa and HealthWeather
Kinsa was founded with a mission to stop the spread of infectious disease by knowing where and when it starts—and our mission has never been more important or more relevant than it is right now. Our real-time map of illness, HealthWeather, has been featured in the New York Times, on Rachel Maddow, CNBC, FOX News, The Economist, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, etc. Turn on the TV, open the paper… We are making headlines bringing our data to the fight. We’ve done this by successfully transforming the first device you grab when sickness strikes—the thermometer—into a sensor to detect when and where illness is rising, and communicate with those who have just fallen ill.
We were just named to Fast Company's "The 10 most innovative companies in Data Science" !!
As a key member of our small but mighty design team here at Kinsa, you’ll be working closely with our product team, engineers, and data scientists. Your goal is to create engaging experiences and data visualizations for our web products that will be seen by families across the country as well as major influencers in the health space. Your job is to help others quickly and easily understand when and where illness is spreading so they can take action.
This is the ideal position for a designer who’s looking to:
- Drive strategy and vision for consumer-focused data products that are changing lives
- Distill complex datasets into products and visualizations that are engaging, facilitate understanding, and provide actionable insights
- Empower users to share data and knowledge with their communities
- Own the full design lifecycle—from discovery and research to implementation and shipping—for a high-priority and highly visible product
- See your designs quickly translated from concept to real-world products
- Rise to meet a broad range of design challenges
- Make a huge impact in a startup organization, the healthcare industry, and in the day-to-day lives of individuals across the country
- Create captivating, empowering, and easy-to-understand user experiences and data visualizations for our consumer-focused data products
- Be an influential voice for our users and take a strong stance on human-centered software and design processes
- Act as a subject matter expert on the design team, giving and soliciting feedback from other designers to continually raise our bar for quality
- Lead and collaborate on all aspects of the design process including brainstorming, user research, wireframing, prototyping, user testing, and visual design
- Drive user testing and help your teammates understand users’ needs and goals
- Partner with our product, engineering and data science teams to solve complex data problems and deliver clear design specifications and assets
- Communicate your design decisions clearly and effectively to the team, including robust documentation
- Critically analyze the success of your solutions and iterate quickly on new ideas
- Mentor and help your colleagues with their career growth and productivity
- A desire to use your skills to have a widespread impact on people—we are a mission-first company.
- 5+ years experience in a Product Design role, with experience building interfaces to facilitate people's understanding of data
- A portfolio demonstrating a human-centered design process and documenting both challenges you faced and the impact of your work
- End-to-end product experience: you’ve led the design of multiple features which were shipped to end users.
- Experience exploring data visually, using visuals to make data digestible, impactful, and actionable for end users.
- Experience designing for and delivering improved engagement and retention
- Experience building prototypes to explore and communicate how users will interact with data visualizations.
- Expert knowledge of responsive web design—you know the limitations and love pushing the boundaries. You are well versed in device capabilities and restrictions—desktop, mobile, and tablet.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in design, HCI, or a relevant field
- Proficiency in industry tools like Figma, Sketch, Zeplin, Invision, Jira, Confluence
- Experience working within and/or creating a design system
- Experience working in agile teams
- Self-motivated and successful in fast-paced environments. You take ownership of your projects, but welcome feedback and strive to effectively communicate design decisions.
- Humility and a positive attitude is a must. We welcome healthy discussion and debate, but we make sure to put ideas ahead of egos.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience working in a startup environment is a big plus
- Experience with front end development
Come join our team of extremely talented designers, engineers, data scientists, marketers and passionate spirits that believe together, we can stop the spread of illness and change the world!
With your resume, please send a link to your portfolio which showcases at least one end-to-end web project / dashboard with data visualizations. If not already included in your portfolio, please also send details about the problem you were solving for, your design process, any challenges you faced, and outcomes of the project.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
There are four key characteristics of our team that we hope are traits you have as well:
Be Passionate: The Kinsa team is driven towards a goal that is bigger than themselves, they have a real passion in working toward a solution for a widespread social issue. Our work is stimulating, meaningful and has purpose.
Be Committed:We are committed to our mission. We have a tremendous opportunity in front of us: to change the face of public health and save hundreds of thousands of lives in the process. We are committed to working hard, working smart, working together, and doing what it takes to make a difference. Our time is now.
Be Efficient: We are a startup, and we are proud of our work so far but there is a lot more work to be done. Moving fast is the result of good planning, decision making, and execution.
Be Inclusive: Solving one of the most important public health problems of our time requires a mix of perspectives and approaches, which is why diversity of age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical ability, religious belief and ethnicity are all welcome and greatly valued at Kinsa. We are as proud of our differences as we are of our shared passion for stopping the spread of infectious illness, and are always looking for people with varied viewpoints, skill sets, backgrounds and experiences to realize our mission.