Portland, OR /
Engineering - Software /
We are looking for a back end engineer to help build the world’s first outbreak detection system for contagious disease.
At Kinsa we are driven by our mission to track and stop the spread of contagious illness. We use data analytics and machine learning to forecast where and when illness will break out. Our award winning connected thermometers provide the sensor network needed to collect real-time, geolocated, clinically accurate health data. We've proven that our data can accurately track the spread of influenza in communities weeks ahead of the US Centers for Disease Control
The Kinsa platform is responsible for securely collecting data from Kinsa smart thermometers and other sources, then analyzing and presenting the insights gleaned from the data so we can track and help stop the spread of contagious diseases.
You will be exposed to, and able to contribute using a large variety of technologies including Node.js/Express, Python, AWS, Docker, serverless architecture, GraphQL and machine learning.
- Design and implement services and GraphQL and REST APIs for our mobile and web applications using and Node.JS and Python
- Help build a scalable and performant architecture
- Collaborate with hardware engineers, designers, and business folks to ship new products and feature enhancements
- Write testable, legible, high quality code
- Experience designing and implementing APIs
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent relevant experience.
- 2-4 +/- years of experience in backend server development
- Ability to design database schemas and write SQL queries
- Strong software engineering skills
- Desire to learn and grow
Nice to have
- Experience implementing GraphQL APIs
- Experience building APIs for mobile clients
There are four key characteristics of our team that we hope are traits you have as well:
Be Passionate: The Kinsa team is driven towards a goal that is bigger than themselves, they have a real passion in working toward a solution for a widespread social issue. Our work is stimulating, meaningful and has purpose.
Be Committed:We are committed to our mission. We have a tremendous opportunity in front of us: to change the face of public health and save hundreds of thousands of lives in the process. We are committed to working hard, working smart, working together, and doing what it takes to make a difference. Our time is now.
Be Efficient: We are a startup, and we are proud of our work so far but there is a lot more work to be done. Moving fast is the result of good planning, decision making, and execution.
Be Inclusive: Solving one of the most important public health problems of our time requires a mix of perspectives and approaches, which is why diversity of age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical ability, religious belief and ethnicity are all welcome and greatly valued at Kinsa. We are as proud of our differences as we are of our shared passion for stopping the spread of infectious illness, and are always looking for people with varied viewpoints, skill sets, backgrounds and experiences to realize our mission.