Senior Data Scientist
Portland, OR /
Engineering - Data /
Kinsa is looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our rapidly growing and exciting team. This is an opportunity to help leverage our network of millions of thermometers and users to develop algorithms that detect and ultimately help curb the spread of infectious disease.
This role could be ideal for you if… You are skilled in a range of general data science, machine learning and other statistical approaches; have extensive experience with Python and ideally Epidemiology too. You have the engineering experience to build prototypes, extensive experience with modeling and forecasting and are comfortable working cross functionally with both internal and external stakeholders. You understand how to work in a scrappy startup environment, and know how to balance speed vs. accuracy. Most importantly, you’ll have a genuine passion for Kinsa’s mission, and act as a force multiplier as we enter this next phase of growth in our organization
Kinsa was founded with a mission to stop illness from spreading by knowing where and when it starts. Our mission has never been more important or more relevant than it is right now. We are leading the charge in the fight against COVID-19. Our real-time map of illness has been featured in the New York Times, on Rachel Maddow, CNBC, FOX News, The Economist, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah etc. Turn on the TV, open the paper… We are making headlines bringing our data to the fight. We’ve done this by successfully transforming the first device you grab when sickness strikes - the thermometer - into a sensor to detect when and where illness is rising, and communicate with those who have just fallen ill.
What you'll do:
· You really need to be passionate about data. A lot of your job will involve exploring datasets and extracting insights so this should be something that gets you excited.
· Coding. We ship data products and you need to be able to write performant and maintainable code in order to do that.
· Generalist. We’re a startup, so you may find yourself working on ETL, modeling and data visualization in the same week.
· Mentorship. You should enjoy helping your teammates round out their skills.
· Quantitative degree (or equivalent work experience) -- e.g. Computer Science, Physics, Statistics, Economics
· 3 – 8+ years industry experience in a relevant quantitative field, ideally at a high growth / early stage company
· A proven track record of building (appropriately complex) forecasting models
· Strong programming skills in SQL and Python (pandas, sci-kit learn, etc.)
· Experience deploying your code in a production environment
· Business acumen & product intuition -- you must be able to think creatively and independently
· Persuasive oral and written communication skills
You might also have:
· Experience with epidemiological modeling
· Geospatial data processing and visualization
· Experience with data in the healthcare sector
There are four key characteristics of our team that we hope are traits you have as well:
Be Passionate: The Kinsa team is driven towards a goal that is bigger than themselves, they have a real passion in working toward a solution for a widespread social issue. Our work is stimulating, meaningful and has purpose.
Be Committed:We are committed to our mission. We have a tremendous opportunity in front of us: to change the face of public health and save hundreds of thousands of lives in the process. We are committed to working hard, working smart, working together, and doing what it takes to make a difference. Our time is now.
Be Efficient: We are a startup, and we are proud of our work so far but there is a lot more work to be done. Moving fast is the result of good planning, decision making, and execution.
Be Inclusive: Solving one of the most important public health problems of our time requires a mix of perspectives and approaches, which is why diversity of age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical ability, religious belief and ethnicity are all welcome and greatly valued at Kinsa. We are as proud of our differences as we are of our shared passion for stopping the spread of infectious illness, and are always looking for people with varied viewpoints, skill sets, backgrounds and experiences to realize our mission.