Director of Engineering, Platform
Portland, OR /
Engineering - Software /
The Director of Engineering is a new position created to address our growth and commitment to support our teams. This is a critical and visible role at Kinsa. You will report directly to the VP of Software Engineering and help further the architecture and set the technical direction for the company. The Kinsa platform is responsible for securely collecting data from Kinsa smart thermometers, then analyzing and presenting the insights gleaned from the data so we can track and help stop the spread of contagious diseases. The Director will manage and mentor a team of 4 - 8 engineers and play a pivotal role in defining and building new products on top of our data collection platform. This person will have a broad set of responsibilities including how we build, deploy, diagnose, monitor, scale and secure the Kinsa Health platform while supporting team structure, process, and career growth of the team.
Kinsa was founded with a mission to stop illness from spreading by knowing where and when it starts. Our mission has never been more important or more relevant than it is right now. We are leading the charge in the fight against COVID-19. Our real-time map of illness has been featured in the New York Times, on Rachel Maddow, CNBC, FOX News, The Economist, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah etc. Turn on the TV, open the paper… We are making headlines bringing our Data to the fight. We’ve done this by successfully transforming the first device you grab when sickness strikes - the thermometer - into a sensor to detect when and where illness is rising, and communicate with those who have just fallen ill.
- Build, guide, and mentor an exceptionally talented and productive server engineering team that is technically innovative, and executes on the product roadmap.
- Initial responsibilities are approximately 50% hands on coding, 50% architecture/ management and will skew towards less hands on as the team and company grows
- Define and implement secure services and APIs for mobile and desktop applications
- Create and execute development plans, deploy best-in-class processes and innovate in software development. Proactively identify, prioritize, triage and resolve development issues as they arise working closely with company leadership.
- Work with data scientists on accommodating new data sources and productionizing predictive models
- Collaborate with hardware engineers, designers, product managers, and business folks to help ship the technology needed for new products and enhancements
- At least 8 years of experience in backend server development with at least 3 years of experience managing software engineering teams
- Strong technical leadership skills including architecting robust distributed systems
- Successful track record recruiting, retaining, managing, and onboarding software engineers
- Strong software development skills and significant back-end experience with Python and Node.js
- Strong knowledge and understanding of both open source and commercial services on backends like aws, azure, google cloud
- Proven ability to make critical decision about performance/ time/ risk tradeoffs and share this knowledge with the team
- Thrive in a fast paced start-up environment, with experience in growing an early stage or internal startup
- Respected as a team builder and mentor
- Proven ability to architect and design large sustainable projects and complicated systems
Nice to have:
- Experience with Terraform
- Interest in Data Privacy and Security
- Machine learning video analysis experience
There are four key characteristics of our team that we hope are traits you have as well:
Be Passionate: The Kinsa team is driven towards a goal that is bigger than themselves, they have a real passion in working toward a solution for a widespread social issue. Our work is stimulating, meaningful and has purpose.
Be Committed:We are committed to our mission. We have a tremendous opportunity in front of us: to change the face of public health and save hundreds of thousands of lives in the process. We are committed to working hard, working smart, working together, and doing what it takes to make a difference. Our time is now.
Be Efficient: We are a startup, and we are proud of our work so far but there is a lot more work to be done. Moving fast is the result of good planning, decision making, and execution.
Be Inclusive: Solving one of the most important public health problems of our time requires a mix of perspectives and approaches, which is why diversity of age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical ability, religious belief and ethnicity are all welcome and greatly valued at Kinsa. We are as proud of our differences as we are of our shared passion for stopping the spread of infectious illness, and are always looking for people with varied viewpoints, skill sets, backgrounds and experiences to realize our mission.