Director of Human Resources
Los Angeles, CA
Regional Support – Regional Leadership
KIPP LA Public Schools is a non-profit organization that operates free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public charter schools serving students in South, Southeast, and East Los Angeles. KIPP LA’s mission is to teach the academic skills, foster the intellectual habits, and cultivate the character traits needed for our students to thrive in school, college, and life. Through the success of our students, KIPP LA's team and family will serve as a model of excellence and collaborate with others to raise the quality of education in Los Angeles.
KIPP LA currently operates 17 schools and serves approximately 7,200 students. Our team is expanding rapidly; over the next five years, we will more than double the number of students we serve.
- The Director of Human Resources will join KIPP LA Schools’ leadership team during an exciting phase of growth. This role is responsible for developing and managing an exceptional Human Resources function to serve the needs of a 1,000+ person organization poised to nearly double in size over the next five years. Therefore, this individual will embrace continuous improvement and innovation, is able to hold a short-, mid-, and long-term lens as needed, can flex between hands-on work and getting results through others when suited to best support the team, and relishes the challenge of finding ways to provide better, more efficient support to our team and family.
- The Director of HR will report to the Chief Financial Officer and manage four direct reports overseeing an overall team of approximately 7, providing leadership for the vision, goals, and strategy, while establishing clear expectations, promoting exemplary team member support, and fostering a culture of excellence. They will also work closely and collaboratively with school leadership and cross-functional departments including the Academics, Finance & Accounting, and Talent Acquisition teams.
- The ideal candidate for this position deeply understands the value of people –and how to make people feel valued – in an entrepreneurial, mission-driven organization. They have expertise in Human Resources, a strong track record of effective people management and team leadership, risk, compliance and employee relations management, systems implementations and impeccable judgment. This is a unique opportunity for a mission and self-driven individual to enhance and develop HR and tools, systems, and processes to help a thriving, successful organization reach its next level of growth.
- Refine and implement the vision for the HR function at KIPP LA. Lead the team to ensure a culture of high expectations, excellent customer service, and continual improvement
- Continue to develop and implement our HR Partner model, including leading our HR Partners to proactively support and engage with our school based team members
- Hold high standards for project management while empowering others to proactively and creatively problem-solve
- With great empathy, is a consistent champion and proud member of their team. Encourages participation from all members of the team and seeks feedback and ideas from team members at all levels in operating as a leader
- Recruits, mentors and supports a diverse and exceptional team of professionals. Diligently seeks opportunities for professional development, acting as a coach and thought partner, and serves as an organizational role model in cultivating a culture of high expectations and support
New Hires & On-Boarding
- Create vision for, refine, and oversee annual regional instructional and non-instructional on-boarding process (150+ teachers; 100+ non-instructional team members)
- Create vision for, refine, and oversee on-boarding process for new School Success Team (regional office) team members
- Investigate ongoing employee relations issues, anticipate problems whenever possible, and develop, recommend, and initiate appropriate steps for resolution
- Provide advice and guidance to senior leaders, managers and school leaders on employee issues. Work with managers to develop and implement improvement plans when needed
- Respond with empathy and timeliness to managers when they need guidance on how best to navigate sensitive and at times complex employment situations – after hours phone calls (some evenings and early mornings) expected
- Balance knowledge of HR compliance with unique circumstances of KIPP LA’s culture and pragmatism, and the needs of the organization with employee advocacySupport managers through terminations and exits
- Lead the HR team to create and deliver a comprehensive and engaging training program and effective reference materials for new and existing managers
Compensation, Benefits & Insurance Administration
- Oversee benefits package: Recommend benefits package, negotiate contracts with carriers and vendors, oversee all wellness initiatives, and manage collaborative, productive relationship(s) with benefits brokers
- Create and implement employee engagement strategy and communications
- Provide guidance, thought partnership and oversight to the Human Resources Team, in providing outstanding, timely day-to-day support for employees with inquiries regarding benefits, pay and employment questions
- Design and implement scalable systems to ensure the proper administration of all leaves of absence including: FMLA, maternity, disability, and unpaid leave
- Oversee management of workers compensation policy and claims
- Ensure that KIPP LA Schools is in compliance as it relates to federal and state labor laws. Annually update KIPP LA’s employee handbook, including working with outside counsel as needed and making recommendations to senior leadership for policy changes
- Lead the HR team to develop processes and procedures to ensure 100% compliance with training, certification, and health clearances required for employment with KIPP LA
- Maintain and expand knowledge and understanding of existing and proposed federal, state and Department of Education laws/regulations affecting human resources management. Interpret appropriate laws and policies and advises administration and employees accordingly
- Identify trends that could impact KIPP LA’s ability to execute on its mission and growth plan. Propose and implement solutions to mitigate potential threats
- Work with Benefits Manager and Senior Controller to provide information for the annual 401(k) audit and ensure all ACA and ERISA reporting requirements are met
Special Reports, Projects & Systems
- As needed, manage or assist with the development, preparation, and analysis of ongoing and ad-hoc special reports pertaining to employee personnel information and data collection
- As needed, analyze current systems, processes and workflows and recommend and implement changes
- Partner with the Systems Analyst to continually refine the HRIS and ensure it is optimized to meet the needs of a growing organization
- As needed, lead the selection and implementation of new HR systems (i.e. HRIS, leave management, learning management, etc.)
- Minimum of 10 years of human resources experience, preferably in a growing and dynamic multi-site organization with at least 500+ employees
- Bachelor’s degree required. master’s degree or equivalent in a related field or equivalent professional certification (PHR, SPHR, GPHR or SHRM-CP) preferred
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple high-profile and complex projects simultaneously
- Collaborative team player; comfortable leading and executing projects as required
- Demonstrated ability to lead system implementations; prefer experience leading an HRIS and/or payroll system implementationTrack record of identifiable and measurable successes in managing a complex organization and implementing operational change
- Outstanding organizational skills and high attention to detail
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, high energy environment with a proven ability to meet and complete multiple deadlines and tasks
- Very competitive compensation package inclusive of a generous benefits package
- 100% of healthcare premium costs covered by employer, dependents added at 50% of cost
- Employer-paid KIPP LA life insurance
- 401(k) plan with up to 6% match by KIPP LA
- Voluntary Benefits (Pet Insurance, Supplemental Life, Accident, Short Term Disability, etc.)
- Generous time off program includes 22 holidays, sick leave and vacation
- Other great benefits (Flexible spending account, EAP, tuition reimbursement for dependents, etc.)
KIPP LA Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation/gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
KIPP LA strives to ensure that our careers website is accessible to all, including individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, please contact us. You can find our contact information on our website, http://www.kippla.org/. Information will be sent to a talent acquisition representative who will provide assistance to ensure appropriate consideration in the hiring process.