Los Angeles, CA
School Leadership – School Leadership
Full-Time 2019-2020 School Year
KIPP LA Public Schools is a non-profit organization that operates free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public charter schools serving students in South, Southeast, and East Los Angeles. KIPP LA’s mission is to teach the academic skills, foster the intellectual habits, and cultivate the character traits needed for our students to thrive in school, college, and life. Through the success of our students, KIPP LA's team and family will serve as a model of excellence and collaborate with others to raise the quality of education in Los Angeles.
KIPP LA currently operates 17 schools and serves more than 7,200 students. Our team is expanding rapidly; over the next five years, we will more than double the number of students we serve.
The School Leader/Principal is responsible for the overall academic program and management of the school. S/He is the primary person responsible for keeping the school focused on realizing its mission, enhancing the school's culture, and upholding its values. The School Leader's chief responsibility is to support, guide, and develop teachers in their pursuit of teaching excellence.
- Student Performance: Set and enforce rigorous standards for student achievement that are in line with the goals of KIPP LA Schools. Ensure the academic program meets or exceeds yearly student outcome goals as defined by KIPP LA Schools.
- Organizational Leadership: Develop organizational goals and objectives consistent with the mission and values of the school and KIPP LA Schools. Lead teachers in developing a healthy school culture aligned with the mission, vision and values of the school and the region. Create a culture of excellence, team work and collaboration amongst the staff, teachers, students and families. Ensure compliance with funding sources and manage student recruitment and enrollment process to ensure that the school achieves its targeted enrollment projections. Ensure the safety and security of all students, staff, visitors, and public and private property.
- Instructional Leadership: Manage, evaluate and develop a team of teachers to improve student achievement results. Consistently use effective, research-based teaching methodologies and implement data-driven instruction. Work with teachers to improve their teaching practice through coaching, professional development, modeling, and collaborative planning.
- Operational Leadership: Develop a budget development with the assistance KIPP LA Schools Executive Director and Finance/Accounting Team that meets targeted requirements. Participate in fund raising activities, as requested, to ensure adequate resources. Ensure compliance of local, state, and federal laws and regulations and court orders.
- Personnel: Recruit, select, and hire school staff, including teachers and school-based support staff. Continually monitor progress on all measures of school and staff performance. Provide for adequate supervision, training, and evaluation of all staff and volunteers. Create an effective team of people jointly responsible for the attainment of school goals and committed to achieving excellence.
- Community Relations: Serve as liaison between teachers, parents, and the community. Exhibit a high degree of professionalism in all elements of this position, while serving as a contributing member of the KIPP LA Schools team and a dedicated role model for other employees.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution of higher learning required; MA preferred
- Possession of a valid preliminary or clear teaching credential required; Administrative credential preferred
- Minimum of three years of successful, full-time, lead teaching experience required
- Minimum of two years of administrative or leadership experience in a school setting required
- Demonstrated success working with students from educationally underserved areas
- Self-aware with a strong commitment to continuous learning
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to the mission and values of KIPP LA Schools
- Very competitive compensation package inclusive of a generous benefits package
- 100% of healthcare premium costs covered by employer, dependents added at 50% of cost
- KIPP LA life insurance
- 401(k) plan with up to 6% match by KIPP LA
- Voluntary Benefits (Supplemental Life, Accident, Short Term Disability, etc.)
- Generous time off program includes 22 holidays and sick leave
- Other great benefits (Flexible spending account, EAP, tuition reimbursement, etc.)
KIPP LA Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation/gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
KIPP LA strives to ensure that our careers website is accessible to all, including individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, please contact us. You can find our contact information on our website, http://www.kippla.org/. Information will be sent to a talent acquisition representative who will provide assistance to ensure appropriate consideration in the hiring process.