Associate Director of Student Recruitment & Enrollment
Los Angeles, CA
Regional Support – Regional Leadership
KIPP LA Public Schools is a non-profit organization that operates free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public charter schools serving students in South, Southeast, and East Los Angeles. KIPP LA’s mission is to teach the academic skills, foster the intellectual habits, and cultivate the character traits needed for our students to thrive in school, college, and life. Through the success of our students, KIPP LA's team and family will serve as a model of excellence and collaborate with others to raise the quality of education in Los Angeles.
KIPP LA currently operates 17 schools and serves approximately 7,200 students. Our team is expanding rapidly; over the next five years, we will more than double the number of students we serve.
- The Associate Director of Student Recruitment and Enrollment will play a critical role in designing and implementing an annual student recruitment and enrollment plan that aligns with KIPP LA’s regional goals and priorities. They will collaborate with School Business Operations Managers (BOMs), School Leaders and across regional teams - including Operations, Marketing and Communications, Advocacy and Community Engagement (ACE), Data & Analytics, Strategy, Academics, Finance and Real Estate - to ensure a comprehensive, coherent regional strategy, including, but not limited to, planning, data management, outreach and marketing. They will work with all levels at KIPP’s regional office and at our schools, as well as with families, students, community-based partners and external stakeholders.
- The primary role of the Associate Director is to ensure that all KIPP LA schools are fully enrolled with the students we strive to serve. An exemplary leader will accomplish this by increasing operational efficiency and effectiveness throughout the recruitment and enrollment process, analyzing trends and leveraging data to drive enrollment decision-making, and developing and sharing best practices. Additionally, they will train and coach school and regional team members on effective recruitment and enrollment strategies and tactics and effectively roll out new region‐wide initiatives or modifications to existing practices that ensure full enrollment in 100% of KIPP LA’s schools. The Associate Director will report directly to the Director of Operations.
Student Recruitment & Enrollment - Regional Planning & Strategy
- Develop and oversee execution of KIPP LA’s regional student enrollment strategy - including new student recruitment and the successful matriculation of current KIPPsters from elementary to middle school - ensuring all schools are fully enrolled by July 1
- Annually assess and refresh regional enrollment strategy based on analysis of demographics, application and enrollment data and community conditions and needs
- Track metrics, analyze trends, and evaluate progress of student applications and conversion rates; develop data-driven enrollment forecasts and projections and generate action plans as needed to ensure enrollment goals are met
- Collaborate with the Data team to manage the student lottery and waitlist management software (SchoolMint), train school‐based operations teams on the application, lottery and enrollment cycle, and assist with lottery execution at schools
- Collaborate with the Marketing team on the development of standardized marketing collateral and online/offline campaign strategies for attracting new families
- Support schools with tools, data and information needed to implement best practices and comply with authorizer and charter enrollment requirements
- Report to regional and school leadership teams on progress towards enrollment goals
School-Level Student Recruitment & Family Engagement
- Support School Business Operations Managers (BOMs) in the development of school-level recruitment strategies, plans and events that effectively build awareness and interest in new families, drive those families to apply and support them through registration and enrollment
- Meet middle school matriculation goals for existing KIPPsters by identifying and implementing best practices and facilitating collaboration across KIPP LA feeder patterns
- Partner with the ACE team to cultivate sub-region partnerships with community organizations and non-KIPP schools for the purpose of student recruitment
- Support schools with on-the-ground recruitment in our communities by attending and coordinating volunteers to participate in region-wide recruiting events, leading canvassing and outreach efforts and presenting to community organizations as needed
Talent Management & Support
- Provide training, professional development, observation and coaching to build BOMs’ capacity in developing and implementing robust data-driven, student recruitment plans
- Partner with BOMs to plan and execute workshops and trainings for school-based teams aimed at growing fluency and familiarity with student recruitment strategies; recruiting, training, and supporting neighborhood-based canvassing teams; sharing recruitment and enrollment best practices and building a regional community of practice
- Support a subset of higher-need schools with differentiated and targeted coaching, side by side planning and mobilizing resources needed for the successful execution of student recruitment and enrollment plans
Prop 39 & General Operations
- Support recruitment efforts and collection of signature forms for Proposition 39 applications to ensure new and existing schools in need of temporary district space receive adequate classroom and shared space for their incoming in-district students
- Support special projects and other tasks as instructed by the Director of Operations
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred
- 4+ years of professional experience in student recruitment, talent recruitment, community organizing or advocacy, marketing, business development or sales
- Strong organizational skills, a keen attention to detail, and demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, set and meet deadlines, and adapt to changing priorities
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills; experience using Microsoft Excel and/or Google Sheets to analyze data and perform quantitative analysis
- Track record of collaboration and teamwork, and a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) and build relationships with multiple stakeholders and across lines of difference
- Experience with change management and a demonstrated ability to manage up, down and across to drive action - even in the absence of formal authority
- Experience training and motivating adult learners to achieve ambitious outcomes
- Comfort with ambiguity and working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Demonstrated initiative, entrepreneurship, innovation and creativity
- A deep belief that all students can achieve at the highest levels, passion for social justice and equity for all and demonstrated commitment to improving K‐12 public education
- Spanish fluency preferred
- Valid driver’s license and dependable transportation as regular travel between our geographies is required, in addition to, at times, evening and/or weekend work
- Very competitive compensation package inclusive of a generous benefits package
- 100% of healthcare premium costs covered by employer, dependents added at 50% of cost
- Employer-paid KIPP LA life insurance
- 401(k) plan with up to 6% match by KIPP LA
- Voluntary Benefits (Pet Insurance, Supplemental Life, Accident, Short Term Disability, etc.)
- Generous time off program includes 22 holidays, sick leave and vacation
- Other great benefits (Flexible spending account, EAP, tuition reimbursement for dependents, etc.)
KIPP LA Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation/gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
KIPP LA strives to ensure that our careers website is accessible to all, including individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, please contact us. You can find our contact information on our website, http://www.kippla.org/. Information will be sent to a talent acquisition representative who will provide assistance to ensure appropriate consideration in the hiring process.