Regional Business Operations Manager
Los Angeles, CA
Regional Support – Regional Support
KIPP LA Public Schools is a non-profit organization that operates free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public charter schools serving students in South, Southeast, and East Los Angeles. KIPP LA’s mission is to teach the academic skills, foster the intellectual habits, and cultivate the character traits needed for our students to thrive in school, college, and life. Through the success of our students, KIPP LA's team and family will serve as a model of excellence and collaborate with others to raise the quality of education in Los Angeles.
KIPP LA currently operates 17 schools and serves approximately 7,200 students. Our team is expanding rapidly; over the next five years, we will more than double the number of students we serve.
- KIPP LA is seeking a strategic and dynamic Regional Business Operations Manager (RBOM) who will oversee the operations of 5-7 schools in East LA, Southeast LA, South LA, Compton and/or San Diego. Through observation, feedback and coaching of School Business Operations Managers (BOMs), the RBOM drives school-based operations teams to continuously improve and deliver high-quality operations -- ensuring school leaders and instructional leadership are able to focus on teaching, learning and development. Additionally, the RBOM partners closely with stakeholders across the organization, fostering collaboration between the regional office and schools.
- The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker, an excellent people and project manager and have a successful track record of improving processes and systems. The Regional Business Operations Manager reports directly to the Associate Director of Operations (ADO).
School Business Operations & Compliance
- Oversee the operations of 5-7 schools in East LA, Southeast LA, South LA, Compton and/or San Diego; manage all schools in portfolio to achieve key operational outcomes
- Serve as a subject matter expert in school operations and support BOMs in functional areas of responsibility including food service, transportation, student health, student recruitment and enrollment, attendance and data reporting, risk management, safety and compliance, finance and purchasing, facilities, technology and human resources
- Conduct operational internal school reviews of school-based systems and procedures to recognize areas of strength, identify areas for improvement and share best practices
- Identify, codify and ensure implementation of best practices in school operations
- Facilitate effective communication and feedback between schools and regional teams
- Provide updates to helpdesk tickets, weekly operations bulletin, and KIPP LA’s operations calendar, website and team drives
Talent Management & Support
- Provide observation, feedback and coaching of BOMs to drive school-based operations teams to continuously improve and deliver high-quality operations; support progress monitoring of key operational outcomes and goals for the school operations community
- Design and facilitate differentiated training and cohort professional development for school-based operations team (e.g., lead leadership development sessions for BOMs, coach facilitators to plan and deliver high-quality training and workshops)
- Support the recruitment, hiring and selection process, in conjunction with the Talent Acquisition team, for school-based operations roles (e.g., build the candidate pool of qualified internal leaders at every level, participate in regional selection processes)
- Lead high-quality training and on-boarding for new BOMs and school-based operations team members as well as support schools in off-boarding transition planning
- Assist Regional Operations team in planning of seasonal events and initiatives (e.g., BOM leadership retreat, BOM summer retreat, school operations appreciation events)
Project Management & Reporting
- Lead and/or co-lead projects supporting specific school sites (e.g., supporting new school openings, moving from temporary to permanent facility, planning for shared campus district co-locations, improving student enrollment and/or attendance)
- Perform data analysis to help KIPP LA make sound operational decisions
- Support the Associate Director of Operations and Director of Operations on programs and other initiatives as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree required with advanced or professional degree preferred
- 4+ years of professional experience in a fast-paced, high-capacity work environment; prior experience in a school-based operations role strongly preferred
- 2+ years of professional experience as a manager with responsibility for managing 2+ direct reports; experience managing other managers strongly preferred
- Spanish fluency preferred, but not required
- Track record of operational excellence and continuous improvement
- Highly reliable, a keen attention to detail, strong organizational systems and robust project management skills
- Adaptive management style - effective managing across lines of difference, strong communicator (written and oral) who can influence and motivate direct reports and peers
- A flexible thinker and strategic problem-solver who can unstick murky problems and drive towards outcomes
- Ability to build strong relationships throughout the organization and help ensure the work of KIPP LA’s regional office stays focused on serving and supporting our schools with excellence and a strong customer service lens
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, and a roll-up-my-sleeves attitude
- A demonstrated passion for improving K-12 public education
- Valid driver’s license and dependable transportation as regular travel between our geographies is required, in addition to, at times, evening and/or weekend work
- Very competitive compensation package inclusive of a generous benefits package
- 100% of healthcare premium costs covered by employer, dependents added at 50% of cost
- Employer-paid KIPP LA life insurance
- 401(k) plan with up to 6% match by KIPP LA
- Voluntary Benefits (Pet Insurance, Supplemental Life, Accident, Short Term Disability, etc.)
- Generous time off program includes 22 holidays, sick leave and vacation
- Other great benefits (Flexible spending account, EAP, tuition reimbursement for dependents, etc.)
KIPP LA Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation/gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
KIPP LA strives to ensure that our careers website is accessible to all, including individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, please contact us. You can find our contact information on our website, http://www.kippla.org/. Information will be sent to a talent acquisition representative who will provide assistance to ensure appropriate consideration in the hiring process.