Los Angeles, CA /
School Support – Instructional Support /
Who We Are
KIPP SoCal Public Schools is a nonprofit organization that operates 24 tuition-free, open-enrollment charter public schools, within 20 Local Education Agencies (LEA), educating more than 9,800 students and supporting 5,800 alumni to and through college and beyond.
What We Believe
KIPP SoCal believes that the purpose of education is for liberation. This means that we see, develop, and inspire the limitless potential in each and all of our KIPPsters.
What We Do
At KIPP SoCal we build trusting relationships that are strengthened by high expectations and collaboration alongside laughter and joy. We set ambitious goals and hold each other accountable for students achieving their greatest potential. We work together with each other and in partnership with families and communities in the active pursuit of a more equitable world. We do the right thing, even when it's not always comfortable standing up and speaking out against anti-blackness, racism, oppression, and injustice. We persevere through obstacles and treat failure as an opportunity to learn and grow.
In-House Substitute Opportunity
- Follow classroom teacher’s lesson plans or create lesson plans when needed in a way that ensures consistency and optimal learning, and that encourages students to actively participate
- When filling a long-term substitute assignment, create lesson plans, grade classwork, homework and tests and attend parent-teacher conferences
- Assign classwork and homework as necessary, according to lesson plans
- Maintain a well-managed classroom and a positive learning environment
- Supervise students out of class, such as in the hallways and cafeteria
- Teach the knowledge and skills, nurture the confidence and character, and inspire the passion needed for our students to achieve their goals, live their best lives, and positively impact the world
- Design and implement small group instruction when not acting as a daily or long-term substitute
- Utilize a variety of instructional strategies based on the diverse needs of all students
- Analyze informal and formal student assessment results and use this information to drive and inform instruction
- Communicate and collaborate professionally with teammates, parents, and community members
- Maintain high expectations for students academic achievement and conduct
- Value and draw upon students’ experiences and backgrounds
- Please note that some positions are site-specific and others are regional (you will be supporting more than one site)
In-House Substitute Qualifications & Desired Characteristics
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution of higher learning required
- Passing score on the California Basic Skills Test (CBEST) or basic skills equivalency required
- Preliminary or Clear California credential preferred
- Flexibility, with a strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and build relationships across teams and schools
In-House Substitute Perks
- The role pays $23 per hour with generous benefits package
- 100% of healthcare premium costs covered by employer, dependents added at 50% of cost
- KIPP SoCal life insurance
- 401(k) plan with up to 6% match by KIPP SoCal
- Voluntary Benefits (Supplemental Life, Accident, Short Term Disability, Pet Insurance, etc.)
- Generous time off program includes 22 holidays and sick leave
- Other great benefits (Flexible Spending Account, EAP, tuition reimbursement, etc.)
** PLEASE NOTE: KIPP SoCal Public Schools requires that all team members be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for the safety of our students, family, and staff. Team members may apply to seek a medical exemption. Regardless of your current vaccination status, our team can advise you on how to fulfill this important requirement so that you can start the position in a timely way. We’re here to help. **
KIPP SoCal Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation/gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
KIPP SoCal strives to ensure that our careers website is accessible to all, including individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, please contact us. You can find our contact information on our website, http://www.kippsocal.org/. Information will be sent to a talent acquisition representative who will provide assistance to ensure appropriate consideration in the hiring process.