Expanded Learning Instructor
San Diego, CA /
School Support – Expanded Learning Programs /
Part-Time 2023-2024 School Year
Who We Are
KIPP SoCal Public Schools is a nonprofit organization that operates 24 tuition-free, open-enrollment charter public schools, within 20 Local Education Agencies (LEA), educating more than 9,800 students and supporting 5,800 alumni to and through college and beyond.
What We Believe
KIPP SoCal believes that the purpose of education is for liberation. This means that we see, develop, and inspire the limitless potential in each and all of our KIPPsters.
What We Do
At KIPP SoCal we build trusting relationships that are strengthened by high expectations and collaboration alongside laughter and joy. We set ambitious goals and hold each other accountable for students achieving their greatest potential. We work together with each other and in partnership with families and communities in the active pursuit of a more equitable world. We do the right thing, even when it's not always comfortable standing up and speaking out against anti-blackness, racism, oppression, and injustice. We persevere through obstacles and treat failure as an opportunity to learn and grow.
You Should Apply If
The Expanded Learning Program Instructor role features ample opportunity to developing your teaching and leadership skills. If you want to make an immediate impact on students' lives and launch or continue your career in education, then this is the role for you.
What You'll Do
- KIPP SoCal provides expanded learning programs before school, after school, in summer school or through intersession learning opportunities. Expanded Learning Program Instructors focus on developing the academic, social, emotional, and physical needs and interests of KIPP SoCal students through hands-on, engaging learning experiences.
- We are especially looking for Instructors who love and can lead:
- Recreational Sports
- Multimedia (photography, video editing/directing)
- Art (painting, drawing, DIY)
- Dance and/or Cheer
- Visual/performing arts/ theater
- Yearbook, school newspaper
- Provide academic assistance, intervention support, and recreational programming within small student groups and in whole-class settingsDevelop, create and implement academic, recreational, and enrichment activitiesSupervise assigned students to ensure that students are safe and the program operates in an organized and effective mannerSupport and aid classroom teachers as assignedAssist with event planning
- Maintain daily attendance recordsEnter accurate and timely attendance data into the data management systemEnsure timely completion and submission of all relevant data including early release forms, evaluations from students, and progress data as requestedReport on student progress and behavior
- Attend weekly or monthly school-based staff meetings/trainingParticipate in training offered by school site and regional officeAttend all additional required meetings
- This role is a year-round position, with approximately 23 - 24 work hours per week and hours increasing during the summer.
- Must be able to commit to a regular shift during the instructional year (Aug- June) from
- Monday: 12:30 - to approximately 6:30 pm
- Tuesday - Fridays: 2:30 pm - to approximately 6:30 pm
- Available for Summer Program, Possible weekend and intersessional program
Data Collection & Reporting
You'll Be Qualified If You Have
- Minimum education requirement High School diploma (KIPP assessment required prior to interview)
- AA degree or at least two years of coursework at a four-year college preferred
- Prior experience working with groups of elementary or middle school students in an academic or recreational setting strongly preferred
- Ability to lead groups of students in activities while placing a high priority on safety
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability to work effectively with teachers, parents, and students
Joining KIPP SoCal Means the Following
- Working at an organization committed to the hard work necessary to ensure education is for liberation
- Spending time with students and families in the best communities of LA, Compton, and San Diego
- Support and care from fellow teachers, administrators, and regional team members
- Ongoing professional development and coaching from a school site manager
- Creation of an individualized credentialing plan with top-notch support from our dedicated Talent Team. We’ll help you become a full-time teacher in no time
Working with Us Means the Following Perks
- Starting hourly rate of $18 per hour
** PLEASE NOTE: KIPP SoCal Public Schools requires that all team members be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for the safety of our students, family, and staff. Team members may apply to seek a medical exemption. Regardless of your current vaccination status, our team can advise you on how to fulfill this important requirement so that you can start the position in a timely way. We’re here to help. **
KIPP SoCal Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation/gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
KIPP SoCal strives to ensure that our careers website is accessible to all, including individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, please contact us. You can find our contact information on our website, http://www.kippsocal.org/. Information will be sent to a talent acquisition representative who will provide assistance to ensure appropriate consideration in the hiring process.