College Success Manager
Los Angeles, CA /
Regional Support – Regional Support /
Who We Are
KIPP SoCal Public Schools is a nonprofit organization that operates 24 tuition-free, open-enrollment charter public schools, within 20 Local Education Agencies (LEA), educating more than 9,800 students and supporting 5,800 alumni to and through college and beyond.
What We Believe
KIPP SoCal believes that the purpose of education is for liberation. This means that we see, develop, and inspire the limitless potential in each and all of our KIPPsters.
What We Do
At KIPP SoCal we build trusting relationships that are strengthened by high expectations and collaboration alongside laughter and joy. We set ambitious goals and hold each other accountable for students achieving their greatest potential. We work together with each other and in partnership with families and communities in the active pursuit of a more equitable world. We do the right thing, even when it's not always comfortable standing up and speaking out against anti-blackness, racism, oppression, and injustice. We persevere through obstacles and treat failure as an opportunity to learn and grow.
The KIPP Forward program is designed to support KIPP SoCal alumni in Los Angeles and San Diego. An alumnus is any student who completes 8th grade at a KIPP SoCal middle school. KIPP Forward begins direct work with students and families in the 7th grade to help families transition to high school and continues until alumni achieve their postsecondary goals including college, career and technical education, and/or the military. In 2022-2023, our alumni group will include approximately 3200 high school students and nearly 3600 college-aged alumni. The KIPP Forward program is a critical piece of KIPP SoCal Schools’ commitment to do whatever it takes for all KIPP students, past and current, to be successful in high school, college, career and beyond.
What You'll Do
- The College Success Manager, known internally as Postsecondary Success Manager, provides leadership, management and direction to activities directly related to the support of college-aged students with a focus on alumni earning their post-secondary degree. The Postsecondary Success Manager will supervise college success counselors on the KIPP Forward team and will report to the Associate Director of Postsecondary Success & Career. This position will also help to enhance the relationships with and access to university partners and resources in the landscape of higher education. This position requires excellent management, communication, and data analysis skills.
- Supervise, train and coach specified members of the KIPP Forward team, interns, and temporary employees to ensure effectiveness
- Perform duties consistent with those of a manager, providing oversight and consulting expertise regarding overall student outreach, college advising, and assessment of effective practice methods
- Conduct performance evaluations and support staff development
- Facilitate onboarding training, one-on-one and team meetings, and conduct professional development and training for staff
- Work with the KIPP Forward team to establish ambitious goals for post-secondary pathways and degree attainment for KIPP SoCal alumni
- Conduct site visits to colleges/universities to provide support to College Success Counselors
- Serve as a KIPP Forward representative at SoCal regional functions, fundraising events, and business and board meetings
- Manage reimbursements and other KIPP SoCal fiscal policies
Program Management & Data
- Work with the Associate Director of Postsecondary Success & Career to enhance and execute current framework for college persistence support for four and two-year college students
- Focus on strategies to identify and assist students at risk of leaving college
- Develop and execute initiatives and programming for post-high school alumni to ensure progress on college persistence factors
- Support the implementation of career readiness initiativesOversee the development of annual caseloads and shifts throughout the year including overseeing alumni opt-in initiatives
- Lead KIPP Forward data collection and entry (grades/transcripts, benchmarks, contact notes, etc.) using the Alumni Services database, and ensure the analysis of student outcomes to affect program evaluation and growth.
Partnerships & Collaboration
- Build and maintain relationships with student support staff at 4-year college and universities to support the access and persistence of our students
- Identify opportunities for strategic partnerships within the community, namely organizations that can help prepare alumni for success in college, including academic support, social-emotional support, and summer opportunities
- Collaborate with the postsecondary match team on the planning and execution of our strong transition plan for rising college-age freshmen
- Collaborate with KIPP Forward leadership team, teammates, and the KIPP Foundation to execute priorities, goals and initiatives
You’ll Be Qualified If You Have
- Must reside in the Los Angeles or San Diego region
- Master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of two years of management experience
- At least three years of experience working with high school and/or college students, preferably in a low-income or high-needs population
- Familiarity with the challenges and opportunities for first-generation college students.
- Knowledge of best practices for college retention including providing comprehensive support to students
- Is a driven self-starter with a demonstrated track record of success in developing and executing a long-term, multi-tiered strategy
- Has a proven ability to collaborate and build relationships with stakeholders across functional and organizational lines
- Has outstanding project management skills, with an ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Demonstrates strong analytical skills
- Commitment to data-driven results and outcomes
- Demonstrated flexibility, creativity, and a resourceful and collaborative working style
- Ability and willingness to travel to school sites across Southern California
- Flexibility to work evening hours and weekends as necessary
- Unquestioned commitment to KIPP SoCal’s mission and values
Joining KIPP SoCal Means the Following
- Working at an organization committed to the hard work necessary to ensure education is for liberation
- Spending time with students and families in the best communities of LA, Compton, Gardena, and San Diego
- Support and care from fellow regional team members
- Ongoing professional development and coaching from the manager
Working with Us Means the Following Perks
- Starting salary ranges from $72,000 to $77,000 per year
- 100% of healthcare premium costs covered by employer, dependents added at 50% of cost
- Employer-paid KIPP SoCal life insurance
- 401(k) plan with up to 6% match by KIPP SoCal Public Schools
- Voluntary Benefits (Pet Insurance, Supplemental Life, Accident, Short Term Disability, etc.)
- Generous time off program includes 22 holidays, sick leave and vacation
- Other great benefits (Flexible spending account, EAP, tuition reimbursement for dependents, etc.)
** PLEASE NOTE: KIPP SoCal Public Schools requires that all team members be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for the safety of our students, family, and staff. Team members may apply to seek a medical exemption. Regardless of your current vaccination status, our team can advise you on how to fulfill this important requirement so that you can start the position in a timely way. We’re here to help. **
KIPP SoCal Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation/gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
KIPP SoCal strives to ensure that our careers website is accessible to all, including individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, please contact us. You can find our contact information on our website, http://www.kippsocal.org/. Information will be sent to a talent acquisition representative who will provide assistance to ensure appropriate consideration in the hiring process.