Jr. Flight Test Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Flight Test
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are looking for flight test engineers to join us in testing a new class of all-electric personal aircraft. You will be working closely with senior flight test, avionics, electric propulsion, structural, aerodynamics, and controls engineers to flight test a revolutionary new aircraft. You will support test plan and test card development, participate in ground and flight tests, monitor real-time telemetry, perform data analysis and document test results, and support troubleshooting issue. You’re as excited to execute flight test ‘firsts’ as you are to lay the foundation to enable high rate operational flight testing to capture real-world lessons that you learn along the way to make our product even better.
Within 3 months you will:
- Start learning about the aircraft and its systems
- Learn about our flight test processes
- Start getting involved with ground and flight testing
Within 6 months you will:
- Continue learning about the aircraft and its systems
- Be a GCS crew member monitoring real-time data during tests
- Support troubleshooting efforts and data analysis
Within 12 months you will:
- Be familiar with the aircraft and its systems and continue learning more as improvements are made
- Support test planning and write test cards
- Take on your own troubleshooting and data analysis tasks, with mentorship from senior test personnel
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in an applicable engineering field, or equivalent
- Proficiency in data analysis with MATLAB, Python, or other scripting toolsHands-on project experience
- Ability to work closely with engineers and other test personnel to design and execute complex tests on fast-paced schedules
- A passion for flight
- Willing to travel
- Experience with aerodynamics, aircraft performance and/or controls
- Private Pilot License
- Model (R/C) airplane pilot
- Proficiency with model (R/C) airplane fabrication methods including wet-layup, vacuum bagging, balsa/ply construction, basic wiring, etc.
- Proficiency with Linux
- Proficiency in Solidworks or other 3-D CAD package
- Experience designing, building, and/or debugging electrical circuits and systems
- Experience designing and building mechanical and/or structural systems
- Embedded software experience
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, afternoon chocolate, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.