Software Engineer, Simulation
Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Software
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
As a member of the software team at Flyer you will architect and implement a high-fidelity simulation environment that accurately emulates all the major components of the aircraft. You will be responsible for turning the simulator into a developer-friendly tool that is used across the team to vet new software, test designs, and root out bugs.
You should enjoy working in a small team, owning substantial and critical parts of the final product. You’re a team player without an ego, and you’re passionate about doing whatever it takes to deliver value. We are working on something that has never been done before, so, you’ll be energetic, adaptable and a fast learner who can make sound engineering judgments with limited information.
Within 3 months you will:
- Get to know your talented teammates in software and avionics
- Become deeply familiar with the current functionality of the simulator
- Support the software, flight test, and operation teams with minor adjustments to the simulator
- Write code modules for simulating the motors, batteries, speed controllers, and other vehicle subsystems
- Implement unit and full integration tests utilizing the simulator
Within 6 months you will:
- Help develop plans for improving, robustifying, and optimizing the simulator
- Identify points of weakness in the current architecture
- Transition the simulator to use a proper dynamics engine backend
- Support the operations team with creating a use-friendly simulation interface
- BS/MS in CS or EE or equivalent
- Strong C++ skills, and some scripting language (preferably python)
- Good understanding of rigid body dynamics and aerodynamics
- Experience with ROS
- Bash (or equivalent) scripting experience
- Experience with graphics and/or game engines such as Unity
- Highly automated software development processes and modern tools (git, continuous integration, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to define and implement processes
- Passion for aviation
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, afternoon chocolate, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.