Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Manufacturing /
Here at Kittyhawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kittyhawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
We are looking for a Composite Structural Assembly technician to join us in producing an exciting new class of EVTOL aircraft. You will be responsible for following current processes, specifications, best practices while conducting assembly tasks. You will use fixtures and shop aides to ensure assembly is done properly and be responsible for the quality of your work. You will help develop and bring about safe autonomous flight.
Within 3 months you will:
- Get to know the team
- Learn from others about the composite processes and specifications in that are currently released
- Get familiar with shop protocol and practices
- Support composite assembly bonding and Lay Ups of composite structures
Within 6 months you will:
- Continue learning the integral details, fit, form, and function of the aircraft lay ups that you are assigned to
- Identify issues in the manufacturing process and propose/implement solutions or improvement
- Record your work in the current work order
- Work with responsible engineers and quality control to properly document any non-conformance or deviations from the established work instructions
Within 12 months you will:
- Reach high level of familiarity with the assembly that you are assigned to produce
- Capable of assembling structures in accordance with released processes and specifications with little supervision
You will be experienced in some of the areas below, and passionate about learning more:
- High school diploma or equivalent experience
- Minimum of three years structural bonding and Lay up experience
- Very strong mechanical skills
- Able to read and understand composite engineering drawings including notes and tolerances
- Strong craftsmanship skills and experience with various types of hand tools and hand-held power tools
- Broad experience with a wide variety of epoxy resin systems, woven carbon fiber and fiberglass, structural adhesives, and syntactic fillers
- Able to assemble/disassemble precision fixtures/jigs to aid in bonding of airframe main structure
- Composite bonding experience with a variety of adhesive systems; strong understanding of the bonding process and surface preparation
- Extreme attention to detail and continual pursuit of perfection
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills
- Strong team player
- A & P rating is highly desirable
- Ability to work from verbal instructions
- Ability/experience with measuring and hand mixing of adhesives and resins
- Experience in a manufacturing environment conducting repetitive tasks
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kittyhawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kittyhawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kittyhawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kittyhawk is an E-Verify employer.