Buyer / Planner
Palo Alto, CA
Heaviside – Production & Manufacturing
Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a Global Supply Manager (Buyer/Planner) to join our Supply Chain team to develop and execute the purchasing, material planning and logistics operations in support of manufacturing.
Within 3 months you will:
- Learn the parts and processes required to build a Heaviside from scratch
- Fully understand our Bill of Materials and Part Master Data
- Create purchase orders for production material
- Fully understand our inventory and material coverage status
Within 6 months you will:
- Create cost-reduction roadmap to reduce the material costs of the Heaviside
- Become an ERP power user through formal & on-the-job training
- Source new vendor partner to reduce cost and improve quality performance
- Create an inbound logistics roadmap
With 12 months you will:
- Partner with the quality lead to perform first audit of our vendor partners
- Take over all sourcing for engineering change orders
- Execute long term vendor and partner strategy
- Source, purchase and plan all production material requirements to build a Heaviside
- Primary point of contact for vendor partners, advising on build forecast, quality issues, and design changes
- Ensure continuity of material for manufacturing: avoid component shortages. Follow-up with Suppliers to ensure delivery meets our Production schedule
- Lead the definition and set up of material ordering process (Kanban system)
- Identify cost saving opportunities in the Bill of Materials, and work with vendor partners to reduce material costs
- Develop processes and procedures for purchasing, inventory management, material scheduling, inbound and outbound logistics
- Define and develop an inbound logistics strategy
- ERP subject matter expert for all Supply Chain related topics: Purchasing, Material Planning/Scheduling, Inventory Control
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability, with at least eight (5) years working experience in supply chain or purchasing
- Excellent analytical and judgment skills. Strategic Sourcing, opportunity analysis, and strong negotiation with highly effective communication skills is a must
- Extensive experience working with ERP system, including purchasing, material planning and inventory control modules
- Experience with implementing an ERP and Manufacturing Execution System (MES)
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced environment, prioritize appropriately and handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously with various cross functional teams
- Demonstrated success leading a team to achieve a difficult goal, especially in a production or manufacturing environment
- Ability to effectively communicate both written and verbal, between Engineering and Production
- Familiarity with a wide variety of technologies: PCB assembly, wire harness manufacturer, carbon fiber, bonding, electrical and avionics assemblies
- Open to international and domestic travel to suppliers
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.