Senior Firmware Engineer
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Engineering /
Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
As a member of the Heaviside team, you will design, implement, and verify microcontroller flight firmware for Heaviside’s avionics systems -- from the motor controllers to the flight computer. You will work closely with hardware and system engineers to deliver high-quality, flight-critical avionics designs, as well as rigorous firmware test strategies and test automation for those designs. As a firmware specialist, it will also be your role to guide and expand the overall firmware ecosystem for Heaviside, and to identify and champion common firmware patterns and tools. The ideal candidate will be a motivated, detail-oriented engineer passionate about both firmware development and firmware verification, in a fast-paced, startup environment.
You should be familiar with all, proficient with most and expert at some of the following, in no particular order:
- C++ and its use in real-time, safety-critical embedded systems
- Details of the ARM Cortex-M architecture and its use in bare-metal environments
- On-chip and external peripheral driver development, and the effective use of interrupts, polling, and DMA in firmware designs
- Bus protocols such as SPI, I2C, RS-422, and Ethernet
- Software unit test and integration test development, and the design of software for testability and introspection
- Use of development tools such as debuggers, oscilloscopes, and logic analyzers
- Examination of component datasheets and hardware schematics
- Excellent technical communication skills
- Development of software for fault-tolerant/redundant embedded systems
- Development of automation tools with Python
- Use of continuous integration pipelines and software deployment systems
- Configuration of compiler toolchains and build systems
- Development of software in a command-line-oriented Linux environment
- Operation in a DO-178C environment
Within 3 months you will:
- Familiarize yourself with Heaviside systems and avionics components
- Write and fly firmware for the Heaviside aircraft
- Contribute to firmware test automation
Within 6 months you will:
- Take responsibility for the firmware of a significant Heaviside subsystem
- Identify and take ownership of key elements of the Heaviside shared codebase
- Make substantial firmware test and automation contributions
You should be able to work independently and determine the most fruitful direction to move in, while being an efficient communicator, avid documenter, and integrated team member. You should be able to describe your contributions to previous personal, academic, open source and/or professional projects that you are most proud of.
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.