Senior Aircraft Technician
Mountain View, CA
Special Projects – Special Projects
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We design, build, test, and fly in rapid iteration, so you’ll be energetic, adaptable and a fast learner who can make sound judgements with limited information. You will assist the Aircraft Crew Chief during fabrication and assembly of new aircraft and maintenance of completed vehicles. You will be eager to help create a new and revolutionary flying machine.
Within 3 months you will:
- Shadow the aircraft crew chief during aircraft builds and maintenance
- Become familiar with the aircraft during daily hands on modifications and maintenance.
- Get to know a small but talented team of enthusiasts
Within 6 months you will:
- Generate assembly documentation
- Conduct hardware inspections
- Provide design feedback to improve quality, build speed, and performance
Within 9 months you will:
- Independently assemble and maintain multiple aircraft
- Assist flight test team
You must have a majority of, but not all, of the following experience and skills:
- Good mechanical intuition
- Broad experience in assembling and maintaining aircraft
- Ability to read a drawing
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to produce build documentation to be used by others later
- Ability to read and write wiring harness diagrams
- Excellent solder and crimp skills
- A&P License or military equivalent
- Basic machine shop abilities.
Ideally you would also have the following:
- Some basic experience with CAD programs such as Solidworks
- Experience as a private pilot, hang glider, paraglider, skydiver, RC model aircraft builder, or other pursuit of your love of flight
- Other mechanical or electrical hobbies or job experience
- Experience with high voltage safety procedures
You should be able to work independently and determine the most fruitful direction to move in, while being an efficient communicator and team member.
We are located in Mountain View and Palo Alto, near Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.