Senior Embedded Control Software Engineer - Battery Management System
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Propulsion /
Here at Kittyhawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kittyhawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
In this role, you will be a key member of Heaviside’s propulsion team, responsible for leading the development of the control software for our battery management system and energy management system. This includes architecture design, requirement creation, safety-critical software functional development, validation, and certification. You will design and implement different algorithms for the BMS realtime state of charge and state of health estimation. You will work with a multi-disciplinary team to develop complex integrated hardware and software systems.
- Experience with battery management system (BMS) or energy management system software development
- Proficiency with C/C++
- Strong understanding of microcontroller and microprocessor architecture
- Hands-on experience with BMS functional and algorithm development including SOC, SOH, SOP, diagnostics, prognostics control algorithm
- Experience developing safety critical software to DAL-A or B
- Experience developing software on bare-metal systems and RTOS
- Knowledge of Model-based Development and Verification
- Experience in Matlab and Simulink
- Experience developing software complying with safety standards, such as DO-178C, DO-311, or ISO 26262
- Experience in Kalman filter, particle filter, and real-time implementation
- Knowledge of Li-ion and related cell chemistries. Experience with detailed battery and cell modeling is a plus
- Experience with communication protocols such as I2C, CAN, SPI, UART, etc.
- Expert knowledge of object-oriented programming methodology and multi-layered system architectures
Within 3 months you will:
- Familiarize yourself with our battery and energy storage system designs and requirements
- Work closely with Mechanical and Electrical Engineers to understand battery operating conditions and control limitations
- Work closely with the team on BMS and EMS system requirements development, architecture design, and feature definitions
Within 6 months you will:
- Define the functional architecture of the BMS, develop interfaces, and define work packages
- Perform data analysis, develop BMS algorithms and functions, and perform validation
- Work with multiple teams to ensure battery algorithms that are necessary for safe flight operations are certifiable by the FAA
- Interface with the Flight Software Team to implement BMS algorithms
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kittyhawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kittyhawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kittyhawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kittyhawk is an E-Verify employer.