Flight Test Operator
Mountain View, CA
Special Projects – Special Projects
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a Flight Test Technician to join a yet-to-be-announced project. You will contribute to a growing team responsible for flight testing of a novel aircraft, focusing on scaling up testing capabilities and efficiency.
Within 3 months you will:
- Become familiar with standard operating procedures
- Learn the basic operations of the aircraft and supporting systems
- Participate in flight tests, including in preparation and post-flight activities
Within 6 months you will:
- Provide useful feedback to improve flight testing efficiency and effectiveness
- Understand all the subsystems of the aircraft to better troubleshoot and help shape test plans
- Coordinate with multiple teams to ensure changes and objectives are clearly known for each test
- Identify risks and mitigations associated with flight testing
Within 9 months you will:
- Organize and lead the execution of flight tests
- Act as pilot in command for the execution of flight tests
- Provide operational feedback for the development and validation of aircraft CONOPs
- Build test cases based on system requirements
You must have a majority of, but not all, of the following experience and skills:
- Part 61 or 107 certificate
- Proficient in RC fixed wing and multirotor
- Creating or executing a test plan, ideally in a related field.
- Risk analysis and mitigation
- Operation of a new system in a R&D environment in a related field
- Pragmatic approach to new issues and challenges
- Comfortable working in an austere environment multiple days a week (required)
- Basic mechanical and electrical integration
- Proficient in basic productivity software (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc)
Ideally you would also have the following:
- Experience operating Linux based system
- Integration of unmanned aircraft or similar types of systems
- Experience organizing complex cross team work activities
- Digital issue and maintenance tracking programs
- Private or commercial pilot certificate for fixed wing, glider, or rotorcraft
We are located in Mountain View and Palo Alto, near Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.