Senior Hardware Test and Qualification Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Hardware
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are seeking a Senior Hardware Test and Qualification Engineering to join our Flyer Hardware team. We design, develop, test, and manufacture avionics, electric motors, power electronics, batteries, composite airframe, and other subsystems for eVTOL aircraft. You will participate in hardware test and qualification from concept through delivery of hardware to aircraft integration in addition to verifying aircraft performance before delivery to flight test. You will be responsible for developing and implementing all test plans and procedures as well as designing the necessary fixtures, scripts, and measurement devices to enable us to make, break, and improve!
Within 3 months you will:
- Learn the ins-and-outs of component and aircraft functionality
- Develop fixturing and performance monitoring to support environmental testing and reliability testing at external labs
- Specify and purchase an environmental chamber and teach the rest of engineering how to use it
- Assume ownership and improve our propulsion test stand
- Coordinate with engineers and technicians to deliver Software-In-the-Loop (SIL) test rigs
- Create and improve test plans and reporting leveraging industry standards
- Witness human flight of Flyer, perhaps even fly yourself!
Within 6 months you will:
- Become intimately familiar with the aircraft architecture and improve coverage and automation of the tests
- Participate in architecture and design reviews to Influence next generation components with lessons learned and design for testability (DFT)
- Lead qualification and certification test efforts of new hardware
- Coordinate with engineers and technicians to deliver Hardware-In-the-loop test rigs
- See your hard work fly!
Within 12 months you will:
- Scale what we have learned in development and reliability testing to aid in further automation of production tests
- Maximize coverage of Hardware-In-the-Loop (HIL) development platforms
- Apply what we have learned from the fleet to continuously improve from reliability, SIL/HIL, to production tests
- Have the experience of taking flight hardware from concept to production
- Have probably broken or blown-up several things by now, good job!
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- B.S. or M.S. in Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace Engineering
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Test Engineering
- Experience in safety critical industry; robotics, transportation, aerospace, defense, medical, or similar
- A quantitative/analytical mindset to probe, test and decompose challenging system problems into root cause issues with strong detail oriented debugging skills
- Experience in designing, building and maintaining Software-in-the-Loop (SIL) and Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) simulation and testing environments
- Experience working with internal and outside test lab environments
- Experience operating data acquisition systems (DAQ) for data collection of thermocouples, accelerometers, strain gauges, pressure sensors, load cells, LVDT, etc.
- Experience in designing, building and maintaining Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) simulation and testing environments
- Proficiency with LabVIEW and/or Python to automate testing and gather data
- Experience with MATLAB and Excel/Sheets for data analysis of results
- Proficiency with 3D CAD and printing skills
- Proficiency with cable harnessing
- Proficiency in Linux
- Familiarity with aerospace best practices and testing standards like RTCA DO-160, DO-254
- Testing experience with Lidar, Radar, GPS, Inertial Measurement Units (IMU), Datalinks, Battery Packs, Battery Management Systems (BMS), and Electronic Speed Controllers (ESC)
- Familiar with design tools such as SOLIDWORKS, AutoCAD, and MATLAB
- Familiar with Atlassian Jira and Confluence as well as G Suite
- Lean Six Sigma certification or experience, especially DFMEA and PFMEA
- Experience with hardware evaluation methodologies, including signal integrity, power, timing, data analysis, and root cause failure analysis.
- Thrive managing priority in a multi-threaded agile environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with cross-functional technical teams
- Demonstrated interest in aircraft and aviation
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, charitable giving match, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.