Director of Aircraft Design, Integration, and Verification
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Aircraft Integration /
Here at Kitty Hawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
In this role you will lead the Heaviside Aircraft Design, Integration, and Verification team to capture the Aircraft Level Requirements from the internal stakeholders, develop the aircraft level architectures, integrate the different systems, and verify that the complete aircraft meets the Aircraft Level Requirements. Furthermore, you will be responsible for multi-disciplinary subjects like EWIS, HIRF/Lightning protection and Reliability, Maintainability, and Safety.
You should be familiar with all, proficient with most, and expert at some of the following, in no particular order:
- Building, mentoring, and leading highly technical teams
- Setting priorities, defining deliverables, and tracking progress for large technical efforts
- Delivering fault tolerant designs in a regulated environment - preferably aerospace
- Designing and testing to DO-160, MIL-STD-810, or similar standards
- Understand the design processes contain in ARP4754A and ARP4761
- Knowledge of EWIS design and parts qualification
- Knowledge of Part 23 or Part 25 certification standards
- Aircraft Level Requirements
- Interface Requirements
- Aircraft Architecture
- Aircraft Description Document
- Aircraft SSA
- Derived Safety requirements
- EWIS architecture
- Environmental qualification Zones for the aircraft
- HIRF and Lightning design strategies and requirements
- Reliability targets
- Requirements Management plan and System engineering
- EWIS design rules, 2D and 3D design
- Ground test verification strategies and Aircraft Level Test labs ownership
- Aircraft Manufacturing support, Final line support
- Aircraft Manufacturing testing requirements
- Aircraft Flight Manual (AFM) ownership
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kitty Hawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.