Sustaining Mechanical Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Aircraft Systems
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are currently seeking a Sustaining Mechanical Engineer with broad experience to join us in developing exciting and revolutionary systems for a new class of all-electric aircraft. You will join an existing team of battery and aircraft systems engineers. This group develops all of the battery systems and related electrical hardware in the Cora vehicle. You will have the opportunity to solve new problems that arise during design verification testing and actual aircraft flight testing.
Within 3 months you will:
- Get to know the team
- Shadow design engineers, technicians, and flight test engineers
- Become a reviewer of schematics, layouts, analyses, and test results
- Support new and ongoing troubleshooting of battery and aircraft systems
Within 6 months you will:
- Continue learning about the aircraft and subsystem assemblies
- Become the point person to act as a liaison between flight test and design engineers
- Update design documentation
Within 12 months you will:
- Reach a high level of familiarity with the aircraft and subassemblies like batteries, motors & avionics
- Become the key point person responsible for the sustaining engineering of key aircraft systems including the battery, BMS, power distribution system, and motors
- Continuously improve efficiency in sustaining engineering activities
You will be experienced in some of the areas below, and passionate about learning more:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar and 3+ years of experience
- Familiar with battery systems including battery management systems
- Proficient with MATLAB for data analysis
- Comfortable creating new solutions to problems as opposed to applying tried methods
- Proficient in CAD software
- Familiarity with a wide variety of electronic and electromechanical technologies, including assembly and joining processes
- Experience using Teamcenter
- Experience with high voltage and/or multi-kilowatt design and test
- Proficient and safe use of hand and shop tools
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.