Electrical Wiring Interconnect Systems (EWIS) Engineer
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Hardware Engineering /
Here at Kitty Hawk in Palo Alto, we are leading the race to market with our all-electric Vertical Take off and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
In this role you will be responsible for the high and low voltage wiring systems of an electric VTOL aircraft. You will support existing harness designs and debug manufacturing and documentation issues while working to develop and implement a design workflow (electrical -> mechanical routing -> manufacture) suitable for our organization. You will also design new harnesses for our current and future vehicles, optimizing for weight, cost, and ease of manufacture.
You should be familiar with all, proficient with most, and expert at some of the following, in no particular order:
- Experience with harness design, routing, and manufacture per industry and FAA standards (AS50881, AC 43.13-1B, F2639, IPC/WHMA-A-620)
- Familiarity with automotive and/or aerospace connectors, accessories, suppliers, and assembly
- Familiarity with wire and cable specifications (e.g. M22759, M27500), trade offs, and suppliers
- Experience with commercial harness schematic design tools (Solidworks, Zuken, etc.)
- Experience with harness routing in a 3D CAD tool (Solidworks, NX, etc.)
- Experience developing harness routing standards and best practices
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Experience setting up and rolling out harness schematic and routing tools / workflows
- Experience specifying acceptance and qualification test plans for harness assemblies
- Familiarity with grounding and bonding techniques on composite airframes
- Experience performing harness load analysis including transient thermal models
Within three months you will:
- Learn our vehicle architecture, subsystems, and how they interconnect
- Take ownership of the design and documentation of all vehicle harnesses
- Develop a proposal for a harness design and routing workflow including tool selection
Within six months you will:
- Implement harness design workflow, setting up and rolling out any associated tools
- Utilize processes to optimize vehicle harness design and routing to follow best practices and reduce weight
You should be able to work independently and determine the most fruitful direction to move in, while being an efficient communicator, avid documenter, and integrated team member. You should be able to describe your contributions to previous personal, academic, open source and/or professional projects that you are most proud of.
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kitty Hawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.