Composite Assembly Technician
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Manufacturing
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are looking for a composite assembly technician to join us in producing an exciting new class of all-electric personal aircraft. You will be responsible for following current processes, specifications, and best practices while conducting assembly tasks. You will use fixtures and shop aides to ensure assembly is done properly and be responsible for the quality of your work. You will help develop and bring about safe autonomous flight.
Within 3 months you will:
- Get to know the team
- Learn the build process through on the job training and digital procedures
- Get familiar with shop protocol and practices
- Support composite assembly adhesive bonding and mechanical assembly of composite structures
Within 6 months you will:
- Continue learning the integral details, fit, form, and function of the aircraft assemblies that you are assigned to
- Identify issues in the manufacturing process and propose/implement solutions for improvement
- Record your work in the current work order/traveler format
- Work with responsible engineers and quality control to properly document any non-conformance or deviations from the established work instructions
Within 12 months you will:
- Reach high level of familiarity with the assembly that you are assigned to produce
- Capable of assembling structures in accordance with released processes and specifications with little supervision
- Minimum of 5 years of composite bonding experience with a variety of adhesive systems; strong understanding of the bonding process and surface preparation
- Able to read and understand composite engineering drawings including notes and tolerances
- Strong craftsmanship skills and experience with various types of hand-held power tools
- Able to assemble/disassemble precision fixtures/jigs to aid in bonding of airframe main structure
- Broad experience with a wide variety of epoxy resin systems and woven carbon fiber
- Very strong mechanical skills
- Extreme attention to detail and continual pursuit of perfection
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability/experience operating a laser tracker for part or fixture validation
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.