Software Engineer, Flight Operations
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Software
At Kitty Hawk, we’re revolutionizing the future of air travel.
Our world-class engineering team is combining a century of aviation practices with technology breakthroughs to produce Cora, the world’s first self-piloting air taxi.
In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Today, we’re designing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing aircraft for everyday flight. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are currently seeking a Flight Operations Software Engineer to join our software and avionics group, which builds the core fly-by-wire systems for Cora. We are looking for someone that is passionate about aviation and the future of transportation to help to build the ground control station used to remotely interact with our fleet of air taxis, as well as other tools to enable successful flight operations. You will be responsible for delivering software for use in flight test and flight operations, and you will enable engineering testing and commercial operations. Successful members of the team have a rigorous software engineering mindset and demonstrated project delivery experience.
- Work with your internal customers to define UI/UX requirements and translate those requirements into working ground station software
- Work with the software team to define backend interactions with the vehicle and drive vehicle requirements
- Develop real-time dashboards and control panels for controlling and monitoring the aircraft
- Develop tooling to enable flight operations, such as flight planning tools, plan verification tools, and simulation tools.
- Develop and implement software testing procedures and protocol
- Write and maintain up-to-date user documentation that will be incorporated into a Pilot Operating Handbook
- Always remain customer focused
- BS or MS in CS or EE or equivalent, with 3+ years of relevant experience
- Working knowledge of C
- Experience working with highly automated software development processes and modern tools (git/BitBucket, JIRA, Bamboo/Jenkins, etc.)
- Experience working and communicating with customers to get high level user requirements.
- Excellent test and debug skills. Working knowledge of tools such as gtest, mocha, sinon, Jest, webpack and selenium
- Experience in real-time UI/UX development for telemetry or command and control products for autonomous and semi-autonomous vehicles
- Experience with Python
- Experience with Node.js, React, Vuejs, databases SQL and NoSQL, and architecting web services.
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform.
- Full stack and real-time web development
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Developing certified safety-critical software (e.g. DO178B/C, or equivalent in non-aviation fields like automotive, medical devices, etc.)
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.